[StBernard] INSURANCE PROBLEMS! IMPORTANT! MUST READ!!!

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 9 20:56:40 EDT 2006

This is a horrible catch-22 that probably everyone will have, at least those
of us with Alstate.

My insurance is with Alstate and I called them yesterday to make sure that
my home will be insured if I raise it. Alstate told me that if I build a
raised home or build on top of my existing home, that I will be in
compliance with homeowner's insurance. (That was no surprise, since I was
expecting that answer. I was not expecting what was to follow). However, I
WILL NOT be in compliance with flood insurance. They told me that according
to flood insurance policy that if your home is raised, you have to leave
underneath the home open and cannot enclose it. Otherwise, if it is
enclosed, it is considered the first floor of your house, even if it is
undeveloped and showing studs. She also told me that if underneath the house
is left open, then I WILL NOT be in compliance with homeowners. It would
then be considered a camp and Alstate does not insure camps. The whole point
of raising my home was to be in compliance with the new flood guidelines.
This makes absolutely no sense.

To recap:
If you raise your home, you have to leave the underneath open to the
elements to be in compliance with your flood insurance policy. But, to be in
compliance with your homeowners insurance policy, you have to enclose it.
And the parish has issued restrictions, forcing you to enclose it. Its
either one or the other, you can't be in compliance with both flood and
homeowners concurrently.

What is the deal here? I am so confused and frustrated. In fact, I haven't
been sane since before the storm. Every single minute, a new crises rears
its ugly head. And yet again, we have to deal with it.

So what do we do about this problem and how do we fix it? I fully suggest
that everyone call their insurance companies immediately and see how they
stand on this issue. If your enclosed bottom level is considered your first
floor anyway, why take the trouble and money to bother raising the whole
house?

Melissa