[StBernard] Deadlines - Accountability - Responsible actions

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 28 20:33:54 EDT 2006

It's really sad but true. 90% of the citizens of St. Bernard feel as you do.
That in many respects, governments have let them down. From FEMA to locals,
everyone had someone to dump on. Responsibility in governments begin with
accountability. These are jobs that individuals encumber upon themselves to
obtain as though they are "simplistic" employment (we used to call "crypt"
or "rake-in da money" positions)which have low-maintenance care. Just get in
and they're set for the duration of position. Jobs that allow the persons
holding them to have lots of free time with good pay.

Now that a hurricane's come and gone, the jobs have become more demanding
(for the term to recovery), then it returns to normalcy. Many in positions
choose to "pass da buck" to others who are more considerate or hard-workers
and who love to get the job done. Others sit and wait for other opportunies
to arise. The prestiegeousness wares off with more work involved. The key
here is "accountability" or WHO is resonsible for key services and
activiities. After all, WHO wants to do more work than they need/have to do?

Obviously, the good folks (Christians, angels and caregivers) have the real
key to life: Help others ..sincerely, without gripe, pain-non-showing, and
fortitude.

With 90% being shown the "real deal", they're offered a choice.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon the viewpoint of removing
those whose attitutes were revised by what they're experienced in the parish
these past 10 months), so many have begun to move on. Their choice was clear
to them: away from the politics, remove themselves from the pain and misery
of reliving "future installments" or more of the same in a natural disaster
here in da parish, and future planning which they find came quicker in
reasonable time by rebuilding elsewhere or settling in safe harbor.

Craig has mentioned that "things are fluid" and much is likely to change on
a daily basis without much fanfare/warning (paraphrased). However, it's not
the future that the majority wished to hear. For those, their future has
literally and figuretively has been "washed away" and their dreams altered
or severely postponed by an event that they feel must never be repeated.

Deadlines? Wouldn't it have been easier if we could have just washed our
hands of the event? --as not to relive with each waking moment postraumatic
tendencies which inundate our lives in nightmares or flashbacks?

What we do from here on out are decisions that we must meet==no matter how
quickly, without reservations, or proper time to get our "safe house in
order". We're not offered the luxury of resources when we need it, and each
thing we do must be met with responsibility and accountability for our
actions. For many, we're the poorer because of Katrina. For others who chose
to abuse their office or the system with deceit, time will come for them to
defend their actions at some point. We shall see.

--=jer--=

I love how St. Bernard Parish government is imposing deadlines. How about
us imposing some deadlines on them? Should we impose deadlines for picking
up abandoned cars? I'm sure they will say that it is out of there control
and they are waiting for this or for that. Guess what? So are many who
haven't done anything with their properties. Why spend money on a house
that may be mitigated, or is that even a possibility any more? So many
waiting for the free gutting and now are being told that it probably won't
happen. Fine. So a Christian group decides to do it for free - sorry,
numerous road blocks are thrown up. Does the parish really want everyone
back? It is beginning to feel that this isn't the case. How many of the
trailer park sites are filled? Oh, let's blame FEMA for that. I'm so tired
of this one pointing at that one and that one pointing back. What a joke!