[StBernard] Governor Blanco updates Secretary Chertoff on Louisiana's emergency preparedness

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jul 27 00:38:58 EDT 2006

Governor Blanco updates Secretary Chertoff on Louisiana's emergency preparedness

Governor's Statement regarding Letter to Secretary Chertoff

"I appreciate Secretary Michael Chertoff's response to our May letter outlining my request for federal assistance. Today I provided a response and update on Louisiana's aggressive emergency preparedness and response plans and restated our need for federal assistance in specific areas.

"The federal government is a critical partner in our preparation. My letter provides transparency to the intricate planning that has occurred at all levels to protect Louisiana citizens. As I stated in my letter, "Our mutual success depends on a streamlined, coordinated effort." This is both critical to the safety of our citizens and is in the forefront of our planning efforts.

* For the first time Louisiana has established three state-run shelters, in Shreveport and Monroe, to receive those citizens without transportation who will be evacuated through local, state and federal coordinated efforts.

* Pre-storm, Louisiana's in-state shelters can accommodate 82,000 citizens in general population shelters and 1,915 in special needs facilities. Louisiana fully intends to shelter as many of its citizens inside the state as possible. Federal resources have been requested to operate additional shelters to help us accomplish this goal.

* I also request assurances that the federal government will assume complete responsibility for the evacuation and sheltering of residents in FEMA group sites.

"In an effort to leave no citizen behind, this letter provides clarification on the use of parish pick up sites for residents in need of transportation assistance. I also seek clarification on the federal decision to evacuate or shelter in place nursing home and hospital patients, as well as transportation assets (air and ground including Amtrak) to be used.

"The state plan and all of our efforts will follow the National Response Plan as required by federal law and we want to make sure all of our federal partners do the same.

"Now more than ever, everyone must take responsibility for disaster planning: each citizen, each parish, the state and the federal government. Working together, making individual preparations and resolving outstanding details will ensure the mistakes of the past are not repeated and Louisiana citizens are safer as a result.

"I am committed to working with Secretary Chertoff and the entire federal government along with our local partners to continue critical communication and preparations. This is a complex and multi-faceted mission and one that we will accomplish successfully."

To view Governor Blanco's letter to Secretary Chertoff, please click the following link:
http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/ChertoffLetter07-26-2006.pdf <http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/ChertoffLetter07-26-2006.pdf>

To view the attachments to Governor Blanco's letter to Secretary Chertoff, see the links below:

DOTD Exhibit 1
http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/ChertoffLetterandattachments/DOTDExhibit1.doc <http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/ChertoffLetterandattachments/DOTDExhibit1.doc>

DOTD Exhibit 2
http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/ChertoffLetterandattachments/DOTDExhibit2.xls <http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/ChertoffLetterandattachments/DOTDExhibit2.xls>