[StBernard] Governor Blanco Launches New "America's Energy Coast" Initiative

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Aug 2 01:19:49 EDT 2006

Governor Blanco Launches New "America's Energy Coast" Initiative Calls for Unity Around OCS Revenue Sharing

New Orleans, LA - Today Louisiana Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco joined America's WETLAND: Campaign to Save Coastal Louisiana by launching the new America's Energy Coast Initiative. This effort is aimed at gaining national awareness about the strategic value the Gulf Coast has for the nation's domestic energy security.

"We join today in partnership with leaders of business, industry and the environment to sound the urgent alarm of coastal protection along our Gulf Coast, which we call America's Energy Coast," said Governor Blanco. "This week, historic action is expected in the U.S. Senate to move us another step closer in our quest for offshore revenue sharing. We are fighting to protect our working coast on many fronts, and working together we are producing results," said Governor Blanco.

At the press conference, Governor Blanco and Lake Charles Mayor Randy Roach also unveiled new public service announcements to support the America's Energy Coast initiative, as well as a new educational video, which will be distributed to members of congressional delegations across the Gulf Coast.

"These new public education tools explain that the protection of America's Energy Coast is in the best interest of all Americans, and it is critical to the future of our great nation that we obtain a steady stream of revenue to restore our coast," said Randy Roach, Mayor of Lake Charles, Louisiana and member of the America's WETLAND Foundation. "Furthermore, the nation must realize that energy independence comes with a price and we must invest in those states willing to shoulder the responsibility of securing our domestic energy supply," said Mayor Roach.

The U.S. Commission on Oceans, an independent, non-partisan organization, has concluded that sharing revenues with producing states is a sound business solution for the nation. Over 80 percent of the oil and gas that fuels this nation comes from America's Energy Coast. A string of proud states - Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama host abundant energy resources that keep America's economy strong. In the wake of the damage caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, our nation received a "wake-up" call regarding the important role Louisiana's coastal wetlands play in protecting the vital infrastructure that supports the energy and economic security of the United States. Experts agree that a steady stream of revenue for both coastal restoration and protection could secure the future of America's WETLAND and our domestic energy.

Governor Blanco also encouraged support of a constitutional amendment, which will be on the September 30 ballot, dedicating all future offshore revenues Louisiana receives to coastal restoration and hurricane protection. While interior states allocate similar royalties to issues such as education and healthcare, Louisiana is the first state seeking to dedicate 100% of these funds to coastal restoration.

"We are proud to stand together with Governor Blanco and urge all Ducks Unlimited supporters to vote for this worthy and necessary constitutional amendment," said Don Young, Executive Vice President of Ducks Unlimited. "The Gulf Coast is one of our top five priority conservations areas in North America, given its importance to continental water fowl."

The America's WETLAND campaign was launched by the State of Louisiana in order to raise national awareness of the impact the state's wetland loss has on the state, nation and world. By educating the public about the emergency situation created by the state's land loss and the region's world ecological significance and importance to national economic and energy security, the campaign aims to gain support for its efforts to conserve and save coastal Louisiana.

The initiative is supported by a growing coalition of world, national and state conservation and environmental organizations and has drawn private support from businesses that see wetlands protection as a key to economic growth.

To find out more about America's WETLAND: Campaign to Save Coastal Louisiana, visit www.americaswetland.com <http://keelson.eatel.net/websites/la.gov/action.cfm?md=communication&task=addClick&msg_ID=2223&ID=d%5BiXeui8nun%3E&redirect=http://www.americaswetland.com> .

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People www.louisianahelp.org