[StBernard] Library

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 8 23:20:07 EDT 2006

Thanks for supporting our children's activities. You can ask anyone who has
settled elsewhere with children who participated in our porgrams--no one has
the activities that we did. I've met several of my storytime friends and
have heard the same thing. "They don't do the things like you and Ms. Vee
did."

I know from first hand experience from visiting other libraries looking for
materials from ACT study guides to fiction and found that what we had in our
collection was so much more! We may have been cramped for space, but at
least we had materials for people to use and children coming on a regular
basis.

One of the libraries we visited during our time away from St. Bernard
wouldn't let my daughter put a floppy disk in their computers to print a
paper for school. How many times did we do that for our students? It was a
regular practice for them to start a project at their school and come to
work on it at the St. Bernard Parish Library. How much better would life be
now if we had those computers available for students and adults alike. My
FEMA trailer didn't have enough room to set up a computer. Thank goodness
we had evacuated with my daughter's laptop. But I know not everyone did
that or has the funds now to get one.

Ms. Ethel is working with the State Library to secure a temporary building.
Hopefully that will take place. It would be great to be able to see my
little ones again!

Janet Perez