[StBernard] BPW

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 28 20:39:33 EDT 2006

This is just to let the public know how BPW selects its Man and Woman of the
Year. Each August, any member may nominate either or both candidates. The
nominations are not revealed until the meeting. Even the officers don't know
who or how many will be nominated. Nominations are read aloud by the member
placing the name in nomination. Members vote by ballot if there is more than
one nominee for each. It is common for someone to be nominated more than
once and never be selected or be selected on the second or third time. Some
years the votes are extremely close, but we only choose one of each per
year.

Membership in BPW is not a requirement for someone to be Man or Woman of the
Year, although many of the women have been. Membership is open to all.
Craig Taffaro is currently our only male member.

We'll have a membership drive later this year. Before Katrina, St. Bernard
had the largest and most active Business and Professional Women's Club in
Louisiana with over 100 members. Many have moved away and hopefully have at
least joined their new local chapters of BPW. Several have moved away, but
prefer to remain our members. Like the parish, we are much smaller in number
now, but that's only temporary. We hope to be back as strong as ever
continuing our scholarship program to the high schools as we did this past
May, the De La Ronde Cotillion, the 4th of July Celebration, and of course,
National Business Women's Week during which we honor the Man and Woman of
the Year.

To my current and former BPW sisters everywhere-remember the part our
collect-It's the little things that create differences, in the big things in
life we are one. Whether you have moved or are back in St. Bernard, but busy
with rebuilding your life, those are the little differences, we are still
one in spirit and you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Deborah Keller
Past President