[StBernard] buffer zone

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 28 21:59:14 EDT 2006

I write this in response to Howard's excellent question and was waiting to
see how long it would
take for someone to ask. So here's my response.

Property that is zoned R-1 Single Family Residential stays with that zoning
regardless of who purchases
the property. Any property owner can apply for a change of zoning,i.e. the
Meraux Foundation applying
to change from commercial to industrial. However, the PUBLIC process
provided by our parish charter
requires a public hearing and a denial or approval by the PLANNING
COMMISSION. The decision of the
Planning Commission can be appealed to the parish council and they have the
authority to accept the
recommendation (either for or against) or overule the recommendation.

If Murphy does purchase all the property from St. Bernard Hwy to the 20
Arpent Canal, there may be
a variety of zoning involved-single family, commercial, multi-family that
are already existing. In any case, the purchase of Murphy does not change
each property's zoning.

I seriously doubt Murphy would seek a rezoning to the industrial
classification required for a refinery if
their intent is to create a buffer zone. I also believe the current planning
commissioners to be strong
advocates of good planning practices, smart growth codes, and a concern of
quality of life such that
it would be difficult to get a majority vote to change residential zoning to
something like industrial.

Perhaps now is the time to let your council know your feelings on this issue
should it ever appear
before them.

ALSO, NO ONE HAS APPLIED TO THE VACANCY ON THE PLANNING COMMISSION IN
COUNCILMAN TAFFARO'S DISTRICT. PLEASE GET INVOLVED IF YOU ARE DOMICILED IN
HIS COUNCIL DISTRICT.
I KNOW THERE ARE MANY OF YOU IN LEXINGTON, JUMONVILLE, OAK RIDGE, ETC ACTIVE
WITH THE
HOMEOWNER'S ASSOCIATION. JUST GO TO THE COMMUNITY DEV. OFFICE AND FILL OUT
THE APPLICATION. THE APPT REVIEW COMMITTEE WILL MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS TO
PARISH ADMINISTRATION. YOU ALSO SHOULD HAVE NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST WHICH
THEY CAN
EXPLAIN WHAT THAT IS IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION.
We need honest people with integrity, objectivity, and a concern for our
parish and we need a
commission that represents a cross section of people so we have many
different perspectives
when hearing cases. These are volunteer appointments, i.e. no compensation
whatsover. We
meet at 4pm every other Tuesday.

Deborah Keller
Planning Commissioner At Large East