[StBernard] Disney hits a high note with post-Katrina students

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Oct 1 23:11:49 EDT 2006

Disney hits a high note with post-Katrina students
October 2, 2006

St. Mary's Dominican High School, Lake Forest Charter Elementary School, Dr.
Martin Luther King Jr. Charter School, and Eleanor McMain Secondary School,
along with Desire Street Academy of Baton Rouge and St. Bernard Unified
School in Chalmette are among the schools to benefit from the largesse of
the Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation and Walt Disney World Resort in Florida as
52 donated instruments including several sets of drums, xylophones, chimes
and other percussion equipment make their way to hurricane-swept schools on
the Gulf Coast.

"We wanted the instruments to go to schools that had been affected by
Hurricane Katrina," said Tim Hill, director of Special Programs for Disney
Destinations. "Many schools from that area have entertained our Theme Park
guests with their Disney Magic Music Days performances. We wanted to give
something back."

"We're thrilled that Disney Magic Music Days at the Walt Disney World Resort
is so supportive of music education around the country," said Mr. Holland's
Opus Foundation Executive Director Felice Mancini. "Through this donation of
exquisite instruments, hundreds of students in dozens of communities will
now be able to enjoy the gift of music. We thank the Disney organization for
such generosity."

Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation, which was inspired by the motion picture
about the profound effect a dedicated music teacher had on generations of
students, supports music education through the donation and repair of
musical instruments.