[StBernard] Trick or trunk Halloween

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Oct 11 17:31:32 EDT 2006

Concerned that St. Bernard Parish children wouldn't have much to do to
celebrate Halloween, different groups have scheduled several events,
including "Trick or Trunk'' at Nunez Community College from 2-5 p.m. on
Saturday, Oct. 28, in which volunteers will decorate their cars and allow
children to trick-or-treat from trunk to trunk.

"We're hoping it will become an annual event,'' said Elizabeth McDougall,
tourism director of St. Bernard Parish government.
Trick or Trunk is supported by the parish Office of Tourism, the Parish
Council, the Chalmette Vista Neighborhood Association, the Chamber of
Commerce, Kiwanis Club of St. Bernard-Arabi and Nunez Community College. Hot
dogs and drinks will be available.

Volunteers, who can obtain a car registration form from the Tourism Office
by calling 278-4242 or from Carrie Toores at 247-2523, will set up between
noon and 2 p.m. on the 28th in the Nunez parking lot near the Physical
Activity Center to pick up their parking assignment.

Trunks will be decorated in Halloween theme but as a family-oriented event.
First, second and third-place prizes will be awarded for best decorated
trunks. A DJ will play music and children are encouraged to come in
costumes.
The event is non-alcoholic.

The Lexington Place subdivision in Meraux, known for years for its Halloween
celebrations, will hold a block party on DeBouchel Boulevard, between
Newport and Tracy, from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Halloween, Tuesday, Oct.
31.

Children from throughout the parish are invited to come in costumes and
participate in the Lexington event, which will include a D.J. playing music,
with hot dogs, drinks and snow balls available for children.

Residents of the subdivision will provide tables and decorate them,
according to Kenny Desselle, president of the Lexington Place Civic Corp.,
which is sponsoring the celebration.

"I think people are looking for anything close to normal,'' Desselle said of
the party. Door to door trick-or-treating won't be permitted in the
subdivision because some areas are dark and would be dangerous, he said.
"We're trying to concentrate (the party) in one area,'' he said, predicting
it will be fun for children.

Donna Gilford of the Civic Corps said residents of the area who plan to
participate are asked to call her at 912-0095.

Also, the Jumonville Plantation Homeowners Association will allow door to
door trick-or-treating in its subdivision the evening of Oct. 31 because so
many residents are back in their homes, said Tony Ortego, president of the
civic group. "It's going well (in the subdivision,)'' he said. "We as
residents have done a lot of work here.''