[StBernard] Romero plans to rebuild coast, restore faith

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Oct 18 18:35:01 EDT 2006

Romero plans to rebuild coast, restore faith

By PATRICK COURREGES
Advocate Acadiana bureau
Published: Oct 18, 2006

State Sen. Craig Romero, a candidate for Louisiana's Congressional 3rd
District seat, traveled to Chalmette on Tuesday to announce his planned
approach to deal with the state's coastal protection needs.

Romero, R-New Iberia, is one of three challengers to incumbent U.S. Rep.
Charlie Melancon, D-Napoleonville, in the Nov. 7 race for the 3rd District
seat.

The other two candidates are Franklin Libertarian James Lee Blake Jr. and
LaPlace Democrat Olangee "OJ" Breech.

Romero said the theme of his plan is restoring the faith of the people that
their government can help and protect them in the wake of problems during
and following hurricanes.

"The people really want to have confidence in government, and that's what is
lacking," he said. "We need more of a team effort in terms of working with
the federal government."

Romero said that, if elected, he would easily blend into a Louisiana
congressional team that would include U.S. Reps. Bobby Jindal, R-Kenner;
U.S. Rep. Richard Baker, R-Baton Rouge; and U.S. Sen. David Vitter,
R-Metairie.

He said he would push for faster funding and implementation of existing
short-term and long-term plans for protecting Louisiana's eroding and
storm-shattered coastal areas.

Romero said he would also try to find ways to merge the work of educational
and research institutions in the state with federal efforts in coastal
restoration and hurricane protection.

"We really need to get a lot of research people involved, so we know the
direction we're moving in is the right direction and we don't make the same
mistakes again," he said.

Romero said he would also meet with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to
assess the progress of projects already moving.

He said his agenda would also include reforming the Federal Emergency
Management Agency and the federal flood insurance program.

Romero said that talks on changes to both those programs have already begun
in Congress and he would like to join the effort to make both them serve
their purposes better in the future.

"We don't need another situation like we had in 2005," he said.

Romero said he also supports boosting funding for the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration to allow for better technology for storm warnings
and communications before, during and after hurricanes.

He said he would also want to regularly bring congressional colleagues from
other states to Louisiana so that they see how exposed the oil and gas
production infrastructure is on the coast and understand how important
funding for protection is to the whole nation.

Romero said that he wants to see the federal government used as it was
designed to be used - to address the needs of the people.

He said that is best achieved by working not just to call attention to
problems, but to identify both problems and their solutions.

Simply calling attention to what is wrong without offering a solution serves
only to shake the confidence of people and business in remaining in or
moving to Louisiana, Romero said.

"It scares the people," he said.

Find this article at:
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/suburban/4424346.html?showAll=y&c=y