[StBernard] LRA - what about forming a group to discuss & notify govt officials & media?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 25 21:23:53 EST 2006

(Wes -- permission to use my full name for publication)

All,
Seems everyone has been shafted by insurance companies, SBA and now Road
Home.

Personally, I was denied an SBA loan because I used flood insurance funds to
pay off my mortgage and SBA said no loan unless mortgage company stated it
was mandatory. Of course mortgage company declined. On my last appeal, I
was turned down because I purchased a house in order to get back to the N.O.
area (from Arkansas) and was told I could only be considered for a
relocation loan. (It seemed more financially viable to pay a mortgage
rather than throw money out the window for the escalated/scalping rental
rates). Of course I told SBA this and that I wanted to repair/rebuild but
again answer was no.

Now, LRA -- I don't have my letter yet but seems I will also be low-balled
and with insurance proceeds deducted judging from the low appraisal values
I've heard about, I am not very hopeful. I would be happy just to receive a
loan (what is the income requirement -- anyone??).

Without SBA or LRA loan, my home on Jean Lafitte may sit with only a new
roof for an indefinite period.

I have became quite an activist (or just really angry?!) since Katrina
dealing with my four insurance companies, LA insurance commission and other
sources.

Would appreciate any thoughts on banding together to discuss
frustrations/inconsistencies with LRA and/or SBA to perhaps bring these
matters to the attention of our government officials (Jindal, Blanco -- can
Walter Leger help?) and if necessary perhaps media attention either by
newspaper.

It seems the Road Home is paved with obstacles and eventually leads to dead
end but maybe we residents of "da parish" I call home can actually make a
difference.

Debby Rosenberger (temporarily in Harahan)
returning to Jean Lafitte, Buc South -- one day!!