[StBernard] Road Home property buyouts-what happens

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 28 15:35:25 EST 2006

Are you talking about Chalmette Vista as the area of low income housing
along St. Bernard Hwy near Kaiser? That is a lot different than a low
income development.

Didn't New Orleans either pass or propose that adjacent property owners
would have first option on any buyout properties when they are sold? I
think that would be an excellent idea that would preserve the integrity of
neighborhoods that have a few isolated properties that take the buyout.
Some people would take the opportunity to expand the yard, lessening
density. Others may move a child or parent into the neighborhood. I would
think it would be much better that packaging them and selling them off to
the politically connected or large developers that may seek to maximize
shareholder value thru tax credits for low income housing or some other way
to maximize shareholder value at the expense of the neighbors.

I would think areas that have mass buyouts would be better suited for
packaging to developers.

Randy