[StBernard] Governor Blanco and Majority Leader Hoyer Meet, Discuss Ongoing Katrina Recovery

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 8 19:19:44 EST 2007

Governor Blanco and Majority Leader Hoyer Meet, Discuss Ongoing Katrina Recovery

WASHINGTON, DC - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco and House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-MD) met this morning to discuss ongoing recovery efforts after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

Majority Leader Hoyer stated, "During my visits to the region, I witnessed first-hand the devastation wrought by the disaster. The response to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita was a horrific example of the incompetence and cronyism of the Bush Administration. The Administration has not exercised leadership to coordinate the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast, and as a result, bureaucratic red tape has delayed the expenditure of hundreds of millions of dollars for the region."

Hoyer continued, "The goal, however, is not to place blame, but to focus on the immense needs that still exist in the Gulf Coast. Democrats have made the recovery of this region a priority. We are working with state and local elected officials to devise solutions that will speed the pace of recovery and allow the people to rebuild their communities. Additionally, Democrats and the Congressional Black Caucus are working to develop comprehensive legislation that will address the housing, insurance, health care, and infrastructure needs that were largely ignored by the Republican Congress."

Governor Blanco stated, "America has a new Congress and Louisiana has new partners at the federal level as we advance our recovery. Majority Leader Hoyer and other leaders have wasted no time making Hurricane Katrina and Rita recovery a priority, and are already working to break through federal barriers to our progress. After 9/11, Congress took a hard look at disaster preparedness, and it is time the same be done for disaster recovery. Federal rules and red tape simply do not fit the needs of a catastrophe of this size, and reforming the system will benefit communities across the country."

Hoyer added, "Governor Blanco came to our Caucus meeting this week and has met with the leadership as well. This has been helpful to our efforts to move forward for the people of the Gulf Coast. I look forward to working with her to ensure that this region has what it needs to rebuild."

Blanco concluded, "I look forward to working with the team of leaders who will drive the mechanics behind this effort to bring swift relief to our people struggling to rebuild."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org