[StBernard] Field of Dreams

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 15 22:39:34 EDT 2007

Wendy,

The part you don't understand I guess is that I know how OIL FLOATS and I
know plenty about the area because MY HOUSE was and is still located in that
area, PLAZA DRIVE so I know exactly how much water was there and how my
neighbors were afftected by oil etc. Did you know that we have 2 refineries
in St. Bernard? So I guess letting my kids play anywhere in St. Bernard
would really be considered letting them play where they could get cancer.
Did you know the land your house is on, even if outside the OIL SPILL area
could be affected by some sort of chemical or other harmful liquid that was
there before St. Bernard was, I mean these questions could go on forever. I
am sure as part of this project at Versailles there would be a scraping of
the entire area before the fields were re-built.

At least we agree on taking the money instead of losing it, I disagree with
you on waiting for other services to be rendered first, we have 3,000+ kids
back in St. Bernard, take a look at the school system numbers and they are
still growing daily so I believe recreation is very important and maybe just
as important as some of the basic needs although I live down in St. Bernard
and I have all my basic needs and have been having them for 12 months.

If you look at any of the parks you can come up with a reason why we should
not re-do that particular park but one needs to be re-done so why not Val
Riess (Verasailles).

Chad

Chad,

The part you do not understand....there was a minimum of eight feet (as much
as 13) of water in the area. OIL FLOATS, it only needs a 1/4 inch of water
to float. And, while Murphy has convinced people that the hand of GOD CAME
DOWN AND CONTAINED THE OIL, the laws of nature tell me something different.
ALSO, in the months following the storm, why did Murphy scrape all of the
neutral grounds up and down Judge Perez (all the way past the Violet
bridge)? I understand that the land down there is "higher", but it doesn't
change the fact that OIL FLOATS. LASTLY, my cousin was told that she was not
in the "Oil Spill" area, however when >they went to check out there property
following the storm, her husband's truck was full of oil- she lived past
Genie on Despeax. You are correct, if there is no other choice than to take
or lose the money, we should take it. I just think that there has got to be
a better place (firstly) and that FEMA and the federal government (while
offering to replace these things) should wait until basic services have been
reestablished so that it doesn't "appear" to be wasteful government
spending. The perception of things is sometimes worse than that of the
actual deed. Sewage, roads without deep pot holes, street lights, gas, etc.
would rank higher in the basic list of necessities to that of a recreational
park. I do think that the kids who live there do need a place to go, to be
able to play, because god knows most neighborhoods aren't safe yet. Even if
every house on the block is clean, I don't know if all the yards have been
debrised enough to get rid of nails, glass, etc., but how do you let your
kids play somewhere there they may one day develop cancer as a result. You,
and anyone else, can believe the bulls@#t that Murphy's lawyers are
shoveling, but science tells me something else. 22 years later, Prince
William Sound is having problems. 10 years following their spill there was
still petroleum in the water (here is a website
http://www.valdezscience.com/ <http://www.valdezscience.com/> ). Petroleum
doesn't "evaporate" and it won't sink into the ground and disappear.
REMEMBER St. Bernard is virtually a floating pennisula and again, oil
floats. So between the water table and land there will be oil which will
rise and fall with the water table.Common sense must prevail here. I implore
upon the parish officials to stop taking a company, who has a vested
interest, word on things and start talking to people who have already dealt
with this- the people of Alaska. I am sure that Murphy has provided
consultants on top of consultants, however, the problem with paid
consultants, is who is writing their checks. Thomas Paine was once the one
voice of "Common Sense" during a revolution 230 years ago, I pray that our
Government has the same strength to listen to their own.

Wendy