[StBernard] civilians at the Corps

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Apr 14 22:16:08 EDT 2007

I have not worked for the Corps but I have worked for several agencies in
DOD.

Civilians do not work at the pleasure of the military; they work under Civil
Service laws.

I personally saw a Master Chief Petty Office in the Navy who was removed
from his position in charge of the data center. What did he do? He
falsified, no he just didn't forward, the paperwork on an employee who was
injured on the job. The employee checked with the personnel office on the
paper work (her copy). The master chief was removed and assigned to a
transient personnel unit prior to his unintended retirement.

I do understand the chain of command in that SecDef is a civilian as is the
Sec'y of the Army, Navy, Air Force, etc.

JLY

Unless you have worked for the COE, you may not be aware that even
the
highest level civilians
work at the pleasure of the military either overtly or covertly. In
other
words, high ranking civilians
have been forced out or committed career suicide because they spoke
out of
turn, didn't give Congress the testimony that the military
wanted,etc. You
seem to have an impression that the civilians are in charge of the
military.
Look at the name-U S ARMY, Corps of Engineers. Ever wonder why some
in
Congress want the civilian works pulled away and placed under a
civilian
department, like the Dept of the Interior, or some new civilian
dept. It's
because they know it is a military organization and the inner circle
is as
military as
any other branch of the military, except the Corps has a civilian,
public
works mission in addition to a
military mission. I have great respect for the US military. I was
only
pointing out that the military engineer is trained and educated very
differently than a civilian civil engineer. Flood protection falls
under the
military engineers at a national level. ddk