[StBernard] Governor Blanco launches new recycling effort at Governors Mansion in observance of Earth Day 2007

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Apr 19 21:37:12 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco launches new recycling effort at Governor's Mansion in observance of Earth Day 2007

BATON ROUGE - For Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco and First Gentleman Raymond S. Blanco, the first step in environmental conservation begins at home. In celebration of Earth Day 2007 and as a continuation of the Governor's environmental preservation agenda, the Blancos are going green at the Governor's Mansion.

"Our sound environmental policy is making a real difference, but it is only part of the conservation equation. Each and every day, even through the smallest actions, all of us can make a real difference for the environment," Gov. Blanco said. "My family and I are proud to launch a major recycling initiative here in the people's house and encourage other families to make recycling a priority in their homes as well. Together, we will preserve the natural resources that make Louisiana a special place."

Recycling Foundation of Baton Rouge is working with the First Family to collect white paper, newspaper, cardboard, plastics, aluminum and glass items discarded at the Mansion at no cost. The Blancos' initiative expands the family's current recycling policy and is the first major recycling effort at the Mansion to provide capacity for major events. The Governor's Mansion hosts thousands of visitors and hundreds of events each year.

"We are proud to work with the First Family to establish a recycling program at the Governor's Mansion. Education and leading by example are the best ways to encourage participation in residential recycling. Having the leader of our state take this initiative reinforces the importance of protecting our environment," Steven Cheatham, The Recycling Foundation of Baton Rouge Vice President, said.

During the past six months, The Recycling Foundation of Baton Rouge tracked an increase of 31 percent in the tonnage of recyclable materials collected at the curb in East Baton Rouge and the City of Lafayette. In that same time period, the number of residents participating in curbside recycling programs in the two metropolitan areas increased by nearly 10 percent. The Recycling Foundation currently collects an estimated 1,300 tons of recyclable material from the curb in Baton Rouge each month.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org