[StBernard] Expanding higher ed access for low income students

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon May 28 11:49:31 EDT 2007

Laurie,

My question to you is this....are people from modest backgrounds who say
work in the service industry- such as fast food, not hard workers. Before
answering that, when was the last time you worked a drive thru at lunch
rush? Second, with all of that hardwork,how are they achieving the American
dream on $6-$8 per hour with no health insurance? There generally isn't sick
leave or vacations thanks to franchising. AT any point at anytime, you are
ready to prove me wrong, Burger King on Gauze (my best friend runs) is
currently running the entire restaurant on 10 people an 2 managers (50,000
in sales per week)...the drive thru is always available. Just give it one
week of rude, crass, self inflated "professionals." Then after working that
10 hour shift on their feet the whole time, how are they suppose to go to
school and take care of their families? Are they not working hard enough? Is
that the dream you speak of? When is your next vacation, I can set it up
now... No matter what people say, not everyone starts out equally. My
parents started on modest backgrounds, my grandparents too- more modest than
most thanks to the depression, but they instilled a work ethic. Now how do
you punish a kid, who maybe didn't grow up with that same ethic, and ask him
to have the same drive as those who did? How do you compare an inner city
education, to that which we had in St. Bernard, where less slipped through
the cracks? No you are right, we will have to disagree, but if you want to
prove me wrong, the job's waiting....by the way, the longest shift I ever
pulled in fast food was at Taco bell in Meraux- 21 hours with no break other
than the three times I went to the bathroom, and the 10 minutes I took to
eat. Imagine trying to college the next morning....

Wendy