[StBernard] Expanding higher ed access for low income students

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed May 30 00:19:17 EDT 2007

Wendy

...and Laurie, you can take a break on this one, I'll cover for you ;-) .
Wendy, you referenced the scene in Wil Smith's movie pointing out..."What if
Smith's character wasn't on that street that day or the guy didn't answer
his question? My only point was that yes hard work plays a huge part in
things, but
circumstances (whether destiny, choice, higher beings, influences) all play
into his." Okay, let me respond to that - even in light of what Chris
Gardner said in the dvd extra interview.

I have always strongly believed in something I heard long ago. I can't
remember who said it so I can't give proper credit, but the saying
went..."luck is ally to the brave, not the cowardly, as is good fortune to
the persistent." What a great quote - because it's true. Thus, if Chris
Gardner wasn't on that particular street that particular day, it soon would
have been another day on another street. Perhaps the word I'm looking for
here is "destiny." With his hard work, his determination and courage,
success would have come to Chris Gardner in some manner reasonably soon
because he decided he was going to make it happen. I've never known anyone
like that not to succeed.

So, Gardner might have commented "gee, I wonder what would have happened if
I'd not been on the street that very day?", but deep down I believe he knows
the true answer to that question - he would have found a way to succeed
another day.

This reminds me of a great quote by Thomas Edison. When asked what was the
formula to his success, Edison replied, "10 percent inspiration and 90
percent perspiration." In other words, persistence and hard work always
pays off. And if no one ever believes that, then they are destined for
failure.

These words are more than just a "go get'em" and emotional pep talk -
they're a fundamental, psychological prerequisite for success.....regardless
of your humble beginnings, poor quality of inner city education or any other
rock bottom circumstances. I belive this to be a fundamental difference in
dogma between conservatism and liberalism. Conservatism is based on the
principle that anyone, no matter how far you start down the totem pole, can
still raise "themself" (key word) to unlimited success - where liberalism is
based on the principle that the individual is weak and cannot make it
without signifant help from the government, or simply cannot succeed at
all."

I always like to joke...what cable channel is the least watched by liberals?
The "Do-It-Yourself" Network, of course ;-) just joking.

- John Scurich