[StBernard] Expanding higher ed access for low income students

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 1 17:33:34 EDT 2007

Wendy, 25 years ago, I attempted a job change. I had 15 yrs. In an industry
business and was denied the opportunity to get the job based on the
fact/concept of Affirmative Action hiring ONLY WOMEN and BLACKS. You'd think
that with that much experience that I'd be even given consideration.
Imagine: hiring only novice minorities over the experienced
non-women/blacks.

Yet, I never hated women and blacks over the issue even though I believed
otherwise that a chance was overwritten by ignorant rulings that paralleled
reverse discrimination at least. I didn't bring it to the Justice Department
because the Fed. Government was INTO what I deem discrimination vs. white
men. I thought I deserved as "equal a chance" at the position. ..Yet, I
never hated women and blacks for that miscue.

I was disappointed at the system and government though.

Yes, as you say: "keep working and you'll get there".

I did, but not because it was given to me, but because I earned my life
change the hard way. I'm better for it today. Solely, it is because my
understanding of the liberal system taught me that the Protestant Work Ethic
means nothing to them with true equality via hard work, experience and
simply doing the right things in life.

What you must learn is that discrimination is worthy of comparison to a
double-edged sword and avoiding tunnel-vision--the narrow-mindedness that
leads one to believe unnecessary disappointments only happen to us.

As usual, I am,

--jer--

"Granted the biggest reason for the attention to his success was that he was
a blackman
breaking into and succeeding where one hadn't before. Dumb luck, or the
Grace of God, opened that opportunity up to him that was no where in his
previous work history or would have put him onto that road. Working hard is
always a sure thing, in that as long as you work hard you open up that
opportunity. BUT, as hard as any woman works right now, she is still only
making $.65 to your dollar, making us far from equal in work, frustrating
us, and knocking us down when we do work hard- black women, the stat gets
lower, much like buying cars. There are other discrimination as well, I was
denied a job at the Crinimal Sheriff's office, because I was a woman, even
though I scored in the 90 percentile, and 75% of the men hired fell below
80. I worked hard, studied for tests, did well....yet wasn't rewarded. Well,
later I was when the Justice Department charged them with discrimination,
BUT at the time I wasn't. Was that my fault for not trying? Had I not been
as stubborn, I may have quit trying and some people can only have that door
shut so many times before they feel like giving up. Hell, how many times
since Katrina have we all felt like giving up. Some don't have the stamania
for life long fights because they are always playing catch up and some are
never taught how to catch up. They are just told to keep working and you'll
get there. at $.35 short, you can't say that's fair. --Wendy"