[StBernard] Governor Blanco's Week in Review: May 26-June 1, 2007

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 1 18:30:30 EDT 2007

Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's Week in Review May 26 - June 1, 2007

NEWS

6.1.07
Governor Blanco praises Legislature for approval of historic Coastal Master Plan; Urges immediate funding to accelerate implementation
BATON ROUGE - In a press conference at the capitol today, Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco praised the Louisiana Legislature for its unanimous approval of the state's first comprehensive master plan for coastal restoration and hurricane protection. Gov. Blanco asked the legislature to make the dollars available to accelerate implementation of the plan; put at least $200 million of the state's surplus funds in the coastal fund and allow the state to securitize the Tobacco Settlement, of which 20 percent was constitutionally dedicated to the fund by a statewide referendum.
Read More <http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&catID=1&articleID=2967>

6.1.07
Governor Blanco discusses historic adoption of comprehensive master plan for coastal restoration and hurricane protection
"Welcome to the first day of what we hope will be an uneventful hurricane season. Coinciding with the opening of this year's hurricane season, for the first time in Louisiana's history we have a comprehensive plan focused on both coastal restoration and hurricane protection. The Plan brings accountability and public input on a level never before achieved. It is a bold vision for the future. And so I am pleased that we are moving on two strong tracks when it comes to preparedness. Yesterday I continued my message of pushing preparedness for our citizens and their families -- to have a plan and get out of harm's way in the event of a storm. Today, we also focus on our coast and reducing risks to our economic assets - a must-do for affordable insurance, and the very cornerstone of our recovery and rebuilding. I am pleased that the Legisla! ture unanimously supported the adoption of the Master Plan for Coastal Protection and Restoration. It took great leadership to create the CPRA plan and I commend them for that vision."
Read More <http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&catID=4&articleID=2965>

5.31.07
Governor Blanco urges personal preparedness during hurricane season; launches state emergency Web site as resource for citizens
BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco took to the aisles of a local supermarket today to urge residents to gather and prepare for the 2007 hurricane season, which begins Friday, June 1. Joined by representatives of the American Red Cross and state agencies, the Governor announced the launch of emergency.louisiana.gov, a new Web site linking Louisianans with emergency preparedness re sources.
<http://keelson.eatel.net/websites/la.gov/action.cfm?md=communication&task=addClick&msg_ID=3954&ID=d%3Bi%7De%2Di%3Ancns&redirect=http://emergency.louisiana.gov/> Read More <http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&catID=1&articleID=2960>

5.31.07
Governor Blanco urges citizens to prepare for 2007 Hurricane Season
"I am here today distributing information and talking with folks about the importance of emergency preparedness. I'm reminding citizens across South Louisiana to do the simple things that can make a big difference in an emergency."
Read More <http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&catID=4&articleID=2961>

GOVERNOR'S COLUMN

Building a better prepared Louisiana
This hurricane season Louisiana once again chooses not to be afraid, but to be prepared. During the past few months, I have led leaders of state agencies in multiple hurricane exercises designed to test our emergency preparedness. With the 2007 hurricane season upon us, it is clear that Louisiana is better prepared than ever before.
Read More

SESSION UPDATES

BLANCO TRACK: Session Update for May 31 <http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&catID=2&articleID=2954>
BLANCO TRACK: Session Update for May 30 <http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&catID=1&articleID=2959>
BLANCO TRACK: Session Update for May 29 <http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&catID=1&articleID=2955>

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org