[StBernard] Building better

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jun 3 21:17:20 EDT 2007

You're quite correct, Wendy. As a former political scientist, the argument
goes on from this historical perspective. Given the fact that mankind
through earlier eons fought with a religious foundation motivation, there
were some who used God as their justification for victory.

That's never changed. Although many "conquerors" have appended/interjected
their own rationale for power, abusing it then and goes without saying that
the same mindset exists today to USE God as the crux for their mission to
absolute power.

Nevertheless, those of us who have built our system of life and
understanding use a standard that places our Maker ahead of any ambition to
conquer. Christians and Jews have used their faith by following God's 10
commandments. We stray/backslide, then get back on the strictness routine
again, much as the overweight dieter returns to a regimented diet once
again. Only in our example, we follow laws of goodness and non-deviant
behaviors. If we move to the left or right of the line, we stumble. All
things good come from these laws: compassion, fellowship, care and love.
Animals cannot reason, so mankind is far superior to animals placed on earth
for our pleasure and work.

During my studies, I've read many of those writings as Common Sense by
Paine, and others laying out the foundation for rationale, individualism,
and the good for common man (which of course includes all humankind).

Once the Protestant Reformation took hold, religion has faced a schism or
division in religious attitudes so our founders had quite a chore of how to
follow through with their design in American Politics. Catholic vs.
Protestant (which followed those from the old country (Quakers/Pilgrims,
British), to the New World, without a national religion established by
Britain. Freedom of religion/freedom to choose and man's definition of which
freedom entails was at stake.

One thing we must know, however, Wendy: Man was NEVER intended to be
absolutely free to do as his whim or desire demanded. We must have
constrictions so that we can maintain order and sense to our scheme of
things. Choosing devious and demeaning choices to goodness undermines both
the intent of God's wishes for His creations by giving us free will. If we
abuse the law set forth by his commandments, we stray into oblivion and
without His hope given to us, we have nothing more to look forward to in
afterlife than pushing up daisies. How can a Maker who gave us the universe,
complete with nature and beauty lead us into a hole for eternity?

God's vengeance is as easy to explain as a parent with "tough love" for our
children. Shouldn't HE decide in His own way and time what His plans entail?
Why question a powerful entity simply because one chooses to ignore HIS
existence? Religion is organized for a purpose: to gather for worship. Some
religions have made a "killing" in profit using the name of God. Consider
paying taxes: We pay taxes trusting that those we entrust the power to
dispense/make use of our taxes are worthy, trusted elected officials. If we
find those whom we empower our money towards abuse, misuse our taxes
inappropriately, we set laws to punish or perhaps vote out of office (simply
by choosing others who we feel can make good decisions). Not unlike this
example, are we capable of choosing other churches, organization or belief
faith-worship places if we're not inspired or blessed with confidence we
need to support that church.

Well, enough about religion. Suffice it to say that men made laws, many
based upon their religious beliefs and morals. If we break the laws, we pay
the price. If you no longer belief in your Maker however, you can still live
your life in fullness to its end: then it's completed with nothing more to
experience but silent, decay of the body, and as the faithful
believe..never-ending death and misery.

I choose life, ..forever.

..jer..

Jer,

WOW!!! I am always in awe of how eloquently you write, I have always
admired it. Just a few things, it is only in our limited scientifically data
that we have concluded animals can't reason. There is still a great unknown
out there, especially in brain research. Second, That ability to reason that
man has over animals plays a huge part in why I questions things. Being
raised Catholic, and a huge history buff, almost all wars were fought in the
name of "God," and man's interpretation of what God has said or wants. We
are taught that prior to Jesus death, God was vengeful, but became a loving
and forgiving God following the birth of his son- mere mortal quality at
best- and that God spoke to the hundreds of men in order for them to write
his wants, needs, beliefs for us to be passed on into infinity, creating the
Bible. However, were not these people just men, with the same ability to
decipher and reason what was important and what was not. Okay, maybe not as
well written as you, but much like our forefathers, these men were
propagandaists- in that they were promoting a new religion. Some of the most
eloquent writing I have ever read was by Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine,
Samual Adams, etc. but all had a purpose- a new federation. The writers of
the Bible were much the same, except "promoting" a new religion. But through
all of that, two glaring teachings stand out, written by two (I'm guessing
here) different people, in two different eras- Love thy neighbor... and Do
unto others...and in neither of those is there judgement, prejudice,
conditions, or exclusions, There is no reasoning or choice in either of
those statements, just a pureness that I try to live my life by daily, and I
try to teach my kids. Since I know you are well educated in history, I can
expect a eloquent lengthy response to this, just think about this. If you
take God out of every argument or equation that was ever used for war,
domination, God, etc. and follow the reasoning that was left, all you have
is man's self inflated ego wanting power....
Oh yeah, and if dogs, frogs and whales hump without reason, you would
think there would be more of all, instead of man's humping without reason
and raising the world population to 6 billion.
I know, I'm sick, but hey whatever....

Wendy