[StBernard] Governor Blanco signs historic legislative package investing in Louisianas children

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jul 24 19:43:08 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco signs historic legislative package investing in Louisiana's children

BATON ROUGE - Joined by students and their parents, advocates and legislative leaders at a Baton Rouge early learning center, Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco today ceremonially signed a package of bills aimed at strengthening Louisiana's most precious resource, its children.

"Today we recognize the monumental strides we have taken together on behalf of our state's youngest citizens," said Governor Blanco. "Part of my successful legislative agenda, the School Readiness Tax Credit, expansion of the Louisiana Children Health Insurance Program (LaCHIP) and Earned Income Tax Credit will give our children and their families a solid foundation. Meeting the early educational, health care and financial needs of our young ones is critical to their development and success later in life."

Senate Bill 361, by Sen. Ann Duplessis grants school readiness tax credits to individuals for child care expenses of children five and under, to child care providers, to child care directors and staff, and to businesses providing assistance for child care.

"There is no greater investment that we can make than to enhance the lives of Louisiana's children," said Sen. Ann Duplessis. "My school readiness tax credit is designed to give our children a smart start with its focus on quality child care. I thank the Governor for signing this legislation and the coalition of organizations who worked with me to get this legislation passed. With so many competing tax relief measures before us, I am pleased that the Louisiana legislature made children a top priority."

House Bill 542 by Rep. Monica Walker expands insurance coverage through LaCHIP to aggressively enroll children in families earning incomes between 200 and 300 percent of the federal poverty level.

"More than 91,000 children are going without health insurance today in Louisiana," said Rep. Walker. "I consider this to be one of the most important pieces of legislation I have handled in my career. I am very happy to support the Governor in working towards insuring all the children in Louisiana."

"Today Louisiana joins a growing cadre of states that are leading the way on covering our children who remain without the health insurance that is critical for their growth and development. The new program builds on the tremendous success of LACHIP, which has been hailed as a national model for enrolling eligible children and making sure they keep their coverage for as long as they qualify. With this legislation, Louisiana continues to adopt innovative new tools designed to give eligible children an unobstructed path to health coverage and access to prompt medical attention when they need it," said Donna Cohen Ross, Director of Outreach for the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities in Washington, DC.

Senate Bill 341 by Sen. Lydia Jackson is another important tax relief measure, providing Louisiana's first refundable state earned income tax credit for individuals in an amount equal to 3 percent of the federal earned income tax credit.

Louisiana is the first southern state to enact a refundable earned income tax credit.

"Louisiana's working families deserve a break to help them make ends meet," said Senator Jackson on the signing of her bill. "I am pleased that my earned income tax credit legislation will do just that. It is progressive public policy for our state and our people."

Recognizing the historic significance of this tax credit, Marian Wright Edelman, President and Founder of the Children's Defense Fund said, "The Children's Defense Fund applauds the State of Louisiana for making an important commitment to a refundable earned income tax credit for low income working families in the State who are struggling against enormous odds to get back on their feet. The refundable EITC is a critical first step in the efforts still needed to help poor and low income children and families across the State in the aftermath of Katrina."

Gov. Blanco also provided an historic investment in education through her executive budget, investing in education at all levels, from early education through Louisiana's higher education system. She was the first governor to invest state general funds in Pre-K enrollment and attendance has grown substantially. Her budget provides an additional $30 million dollars to expand access to Louisiana's Pre-K program.
<http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/Vetomessage072007-2.pdf>

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org