[StBernard] Judge rules St. Bernard sheriff candidate cannotseek election

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 20 21:41:06 EDT 2007

John, you're right.

If residents who aren't there at this time can vote, then surely a candidate
who has a temporary residence should be allowed to run under this Katrina
diaspora situation.

Jim

Jer, I suspect this issue with Bernadas is far from over. This
sounds
exactly like some challenges done in last year's election in the
city
involving both candidates in voters. In the end, the challenges were
thrown
out in lieu of the displacement issues caused by Katrina. Expect
this one
to end up with the La. Supreme Court and don't be surprised if the
high
court rules in favor of Bernadas. I suspect the high court of the
State,
being all elected politicians, will not want to open a Pandora's Box
on
challeges against displaced residents who have already been punished
enough.
The principle of their ruling, if it goes against Bernadas, could
easily be
used to challenge any voter as well. (Hint: can't you see a black
candidate
claiming this to be racism? I sure as hell can). And I'm not so sure
the
State Supreme Court is going to want to go there.

I'm sure Bernadas' attorney will bring up this possible racism
scenario in
argument. You have a black associate justice on the court. Plus, the
Court
is pretty liberal to boot anyway. Their ruling in Bernadas' favor
avoids a
lot of future mess. They might see the practicality of such
thinking.
Remember, like anyone else, the Supreme Court makes its decisions
based on
politics as much as law.

- John Scurich