[StBernard] Define - Living in the parish etc.

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Oct 3 20:30:37 EDT 2007

I'm with you on this one Jill. The legislation enacted to protect a voter's
right after a natural disaster was well intentioned. The problem is that
there wasn't a set time outlined with regard to how long someone could
continue voting while being displaced and still be considered a "resident"
of the parish. Displaced residents certainly have a right to decide on who
represents them in the future, my question is how far into the future should
they continue to be allowed to cast votes in St. Bernard while living
elsewhere. And now we have the issue of a large number of our political
representatives living outside of St. Bernard Parish. As with everything
else (we are still on a live and learn and change as we go along scenario),
we need to start setting deadlines and not leave these matters open-ended.
--
WQ

> Resident Address/public office/appointed positions
>
> What really constitutes "living in the parish"?. Some of our
> elected officials including school board members and parish
employees on our
> payroll have residences that they occupy the majorty of the time
outside our
> parish. the one listed as their primary residence is only a shell.
Of