[StBernard] Recovery targeted in St. Bernard race

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Oct 4 21:46:16 EDT 2007

Recovery targeted in St. Bernard race
by The Times-Picayune
Wednesday October 03, 2007, 9:20 PM
By Paul Rioux
St. Bernard bureau

As one of just three incumbents seeking re-election to the seven-member St.
Bernard Parish Council, Judy Hoffmeister said her experience in helping lead
the parish's post-Hurricane Katrina recovery is invaluable.

"I know who all of the players are at the local, state and federal levels,"
she said. "We need to maintain some continuity as we move forward."

But Hoffmeister's two opponents in the Oct. 20 election for the District B
seat say they are disappointed by the pace of recovery and believe an
outsider's perspective would help get things moving.

"We just need some fresh blood on the council, and, believe me, at some of
those controversial council meetings it really is about blood," Kathleen
Acosta said.

Joining Acosta in challenging Hoffmeister for a four-year term representing
the central Chalmette district is George Cavignac, who faulted parish
officials for taking a caustic approach in seeking recovery aid from the
Federal Emergency Management Agency.

The position pays $7,200 a year.

Acosta, 43, said she would encourage residents to form neighborhood groups
and become more involved in parish government.

"The people are the government. We need to keep in mind that we work for
them," said Acosta, who teaches inmates at Orleans Parish Prison as part of
a high-school equivalency program.

Acosta said she would work to mend the strained relationship between the
council and parish president and streamline council meetings that often run
longer than two hours -- two issues that she believes have hindered the
parish's recovery.

"We need all parts of parish government to work together effectively so we
can make beautiful music instead of everybody blowing their own horns," she
said.

Cavignac, 38, said parish officials need to be more diplomatic in
negotiating for recovery aid with state and federal officials.

"I've always believed in saying what needs to be said. But to be totally
outspoken and alienate people is not something I agree with," said Cavignac,
who works for Norfolk Southern Railway, overseeing security and accident
investigations in a three-state region.

He said the parish should develop a master plan to spark economic
development along Judge Perez Drive and Paris Road.

"We need to get our main thoroughfares looking like they are open for
business," he said. "They're what everyone sees when people visit the
parish, and I want the message to be that we're coming back."

Hoffmeister, 61, who is seeking her second term, said she understands the
public's dissatisfaction with the pace of the recovery.

"There's no one more frustrated than us. We've put our own lives on hold
somewhat to work on the parish's recovery," she said. "It's been slow, but
things are starting to pick up."

For instance, she said, all sewer lift stations should be running in about a
month, putting an end to the costly sewer vacuum trucks that many residents
blame for tearing up parish streets.

"We're finally seeing the money flowing down from the federal level, and the
projects are starting to move forward," she said.

Paul Rioux can be reached at prioux at timespicayune.com or (504) 826-3321.

See more in St. Bernard