[StBernard] Canal Dredging - Help!

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Oct 6 00:35:43 EDT 2007

Gentlemen:

The September 14th St. Bernard Voice had an encouraging article titled "St.
Bernard Parish Canal Cleanout Mucky But Critical". The article went on to
explain that nineteen miles of flood control canals in St Bernard Parish are
being cleaned. When complete, it is estimated that 81,000 cubic yards of
debris will have been pulled out of the canals to improve storm drainage.
The article ended with a reference to the web-site www.faceofthecorps.com.
You can hardly image how disgusted I was to view their home page and be
greeted with the notice that the Louisiana Recovery Field Office has been
deactivated as of September 29th.

The twenty arpent canal stretching from Campagna Drive, the entrance of
Corinne Estates, then Charles Drive, where it turns down Chalona drive. The
canal along Chalona and Palmansano appears to have been cleaned. Why
weren't these other three short blocks included? The "grass" is as thick as
trees in some spots, covers the entire canal, and anytime it rains you can
see how the flow of water is impeded by the weeds and debris. Is it too
late to contact Fema to address these three blocks? I doubt that anyone
physically reviewing this area would agree that dredging is a necessity, and
could easily be accomplished with the 75 foot back hoe they were using.
Dredging was needed long before Katrina; since then, it has obviously gotten
worse and will continue to be a haven for rats.

I would appreciate having this directed to FEMA for its review. I will be
glad to take photographs and send them on to evidence the fact that once
again, either the Levee Board or the Parish government dropped the ball.
How is it that the work is continuing in Jefferson Parish, whose canals are
far cleaner than ours. Perhaps they can teach us what we can't seem to
learn on our own.

JFR