[StBernard] LRA Chairman Issues Statement Regarding Governor Jindal's Executive Order to Expedite Hurricane Reco

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 16 19:40:30 EST 2008

LRA Chairman Issues Statement Regarding Governor Jindal's Executive Order to Expedite Hurricane Recovery Decision-Making in Government

NEW ORLEANS (January 16, 2007) - Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) Chairman Norman C. Francis and Executive Director Paul Rainwater issued the following statements regarding the Executive Order issued by Governor Bobby Jindal yesterday which directs the LRA to be responsible for the state's actions with regard to FEMA's Public Assistance and Hazard Mitigation Grant Programs.

"Yesterday Governor Jindal sent a clear message that the LRA's role in the recovery has evolved, said Francis. "With the responsibility and authority we have assumed as a result of the Executive Order, we must shift our focus from Washington to Baton Rouge-from getting the resources to ensuring that the resources are being invested quickly, strategically and efficiently. By making this one of his first acts in office, Governor Jindal has sent a strong signal that he understands the ongoing importance of our recovery and he's committed to streamlining programs and removing roadblocks to ensure that in the end we are safer, stronger and smarter than before."

"I look forward to working with GOHSEP and our Federal partners at FEMA to identify ways to streamline the Public Assistance process and improve efficiency," said Rainwater. "With the ultimate goal of cutting in half the length of time that applications and other paperwork spend in the process, I have no doubt we can work together to cut red tape and eliminate duplicative efforts."

On Governor Jindal's first day in office, he called his cabinet together for their first cabinet meeting at the Governor's mansion. Following the meeting, Jindal held a press conference to announce his signing of this and three other Executive Orders. Highlights from this Executive Order include:

SECTION 1: The Louisiana Recovery Authority shall set priorities and offer broad direction to the Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness relating to the use of funds made available to the state for recovery and redevelopment efforts through the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, as amended, and special congressional appropriations for the Public Assistance Program and the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program associated with Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

SECTION 2: The Executive Director of the Louisiana Recovery Authority shall serve as the Governor's Authorized Representative for Louisiana's Public Assistance Program associated with Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. The Executive Director shall be afforded all duties and responsibilities conferred upon the Governors Authorized Representative in the states Public Assistance Administrative Plan.

SECTION 3: The Louisiana Recovery Authority shall serve as the State Hazard Mitigation Team for the recovery associated with Hurricanes Katrina and Rita for purposes of the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.

SECTION 4: The Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness is authorized and directed to cooperate in the implementation of the provisions of this Order.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###