[StBernard] Parish still looks horrable almost 3 years later

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed May 21 07:42:59 EDT 2008

"Jer, Thanks for your deep thoughtful reply. I know this is your
hometown and I
may be snapping (oh finally?) and being impatient. I just moved here 3
months before K so may be bit MORE resentful, and it is difficult for me to
live in these conditions, but I always embrace change and want to make
things positive. I guess I am feeling frustrated have been humbled, but I
don't really think it has anything to do with beurocrasy; its just the state
of mind. Thanks again for your insight and prayers. MsSimms "

Jer Responds: Yes, Chalmette and St. Bernard IS my hometown, MsSimms. It
most assuredly will remain that way for me for the short duration of my
final years. I'm going to go so far as to call my Katrina experience (if not
everyone) similar to "forcible rape"! It's a little graphic to describe, but
as actual a depiction and as imaginable as to be forced to do something
beyond one's will. Forced from homeland, raked over the coals in Part 2, 3,
4..etc. of Katrina's aftermath.

The horrifying misconception is that it's indeed far from over. (Some will
feel these effects the remainder of their lifetime, I surmise). Having
"outsiders" to the incident murmuring "Get over it!" or "move-on" is blatant
disrespect for others' feelings. As many have individual timeframes for
recovery. Surely, there are others who can heal "on a moment's notice" and
are truly blessed.

We all accept losses, inconveniences or disasters at paces personally to the
ability to recovery safely, achieve financially capability, and as
situations improve emotionally.

Impatience? Many psychologist, etc. will agree that expression of emotions
and any degree of venting grief or anger can at times be helpful. It is
preferable to simply pretending that all has been "fixed" or that complete
recovery SHOULD be completed within the short term. In this case, we WANT to
be able to see complete progress in a short duration (ie. governments
supplying "wholeness" to our lives). In this real world, politics,
accountability, bureaucracy and other factors determine recovery).

St. Bernard Parish will recover at its own pace as well. However, it
certainly will be of a different makeup (geographically and in
population/culture than what we had just 3 short years ago and in the
future. Fantasyland is in Disney's theme parks.

Tough times and drastic measures. I truly believe you can't patch up a total
catastrophe without big bucks, huge dreams and action. I'm curious as to how
income per capita has changed upwards or downwards, but I suppose the 2010
census will answer that. Companies look at economic development in terms of
both per capita and population numbers. If both are not met, unfortunately,
St. Bernard will appear as a "fishing village" to them, as the geographics
of da parish is far removed from I-10 (not bordered on it) and probably in
an unstable condition, recovering from both population loss and
infrastructure making it eye-appealing).

Dead in da water? Nope. Just seriously wounded. Although many activities are
being planned most regularly, to some, there's still something missing. On a
positive note, others will not allow this negative to ruin their fun <G> and
good for them. Still, there's no denying a huge shot in the arm, so to
speak, needs to enter the parish, provide feel-good sensations that will aid
in recovery--starting with mega-bucks and serious, positive change (instead
of excuses or lame government actions).

If one lives in da parish, one should make the best of it and regard it as a
step forward to fulfilling the rest of one's life's dreams and aspirations
(no matter how ardent). I believe God has a plan for us all no matter where
we reside on His beautiful planet. Some of us had to fulfill His will
elsewhere. I can't explain His purpose but will accept His love and help in
recovering with whatever He will provide for me along my life's journey.

==jer==