[StBernard] LRA Progress Report - May 23, 2008

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat May 24 10:13:03 EDT 2008

In this issue:

* Gov. Jindal Urges You to "Get A Gameplan"
* Stock Up On Hurricane Preparedness Items During Sales Tax Holiday
* Hurricane Preparedness Week - May 25- 31, 2008
* New Orleans Traffic, Municipal Courts Re-open

Gov. Jindal Urges You to "Get A Gameplan"

Governor Bobby Jindal, LSU Head Football Coach Les Miles and rock band Better Than Ezra kicked off state hurricane preparedness efforts this week. The Governor announced www.GetAGameplan.org <http://www.GetAGameplan.org> - a Web site for Louisianians to use to prepare their homes and their families for a potential hurricane this hurricane season. The "Get a Gameplan" hurricane preparedness campaign focuses on providing Louisianians with the information and tools they need to prepare for a possible hurricane in their area.

"We know protecting our homes and our families is the number one obligation of any parent - and this is especially true dur! ing hurricane season," said Gov. Jindal. "The Get a Gameplan campaign works to give Louisianians the information and tools they need to prepare for hurricane season. Families should know their evacuation routes ahead of time, in case they have to evacuate during a storm. They should also have any necessary medicine on hand and a radio to keep track of weather updates, and, of course, plenty of water. We will be taking the Get a Gameplan campaign across South Louisiana in the weeks ahead."

Hurricane season begins on June 1, and officials have predicted that this year will be an above normal hurricane season.

*
Click here to "Get a Gameplan."
<http://www.getagameplan.org>

Stock Up On Hurricane Preparedness Items During Sales Tax Holiday

Louisiana residents can purchase many hurricane preparedness items this weekend without paying sales tax. During the Saturday, May 24 and Sunday, May 25 holiday, tax-free purchases will be allowed for the first $1,500 of the sales price on each of the following items:

*
Self-powered light sources, such as flashlights and candles
*
Portable self-powered radios, two-way radios, and weather-band radios
*
Tarpaulins or other flexible waterproof sheeting
*
Ground anchor systems or tie-down kits
*
Gas or diesel fuel tanks
*
AAA, AA, C, D, 6-volt, or 9-volt batteries
*
Cellular phone batteries and chargers
*
Non-electric food storage coolers
*
Portable generators
Storm shutter devices - Materials and products manufactured, rated, and marketed specifically for the purposes of preventing window damage from storms
*
Carbon monoxide detectors
*
Blue ice products

*
Click here to see a full list <http://www.rev.state.la.us> .

Hurricane Preparedness Week - May 25- 31, 2008

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is urging Americans to be ready for Hurricane season. Hurricane Preparedness Week kicks off Monday and lasts through May 31. NOAA launched a Hurricane Preparedness Web site featuring safety tips about hurricanes and accompanying hazards, including storm surges, high winds, tornadoes and flooding. The site also includes a history of major storms to strike North America.

*
Click here to learn more about hurricane prepardedness <http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/intro.shtml> .

New Orleans Traffic, Municipal Courts Re-open

New Orleans officials held a re-opening ceremony today for the city's municipal and traffic courts. Hurricane Katrina caused $5.6 million in damages at the complex at Tulane Avenue and Broad Street. The city of New Orleans says the courts will return to the facility in phases; judges and employees will move into their offices as final repairs are completed. The repaired court was paid for with $3.9 million in federal funds. The city paid the remainder of repair costs.

"The reopening of municipal and traffic court is another major step toward our full recovery," New Orleans Mayor Ray C. Nagin said. "Just a few months ago, we moved back into the New Orleans Police Department headquarters and I am pleased that we are able to begin a phased move-in at municipal and traffic court."

###