[StBernard] Memory test: Why did the U.S. go into Iraq?

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 20 17:58:38 EDT 2008

It seems appropriate to now respond with the correct answer, after Wendy
responded :-) , to the question "why we went into Iraq?"

Everything Wendy and others have responded regarding the WMD is correctly
part of the answer. But if you recall, I explained my question in detail as
to what specifically was the straw that broke the camel's back - what
finally triggered the U.S. to begin the invasion?

How often we forget, or if it's the liberal media How often they
"conveniently" forget, the events that led up to the U.S. invasion. Taking
a trip back into history, I'm sure most recall the United Nations inspectors
going into Iraq. The UN inspection team had specific location and
facilities they wanted to inspect. For the most part, Hussein cooperated
until it came down to the last few location the UN team wanted to inspect.
As it was pointed out, there was intelligence provided to the UN from Great
Brittain and other countries (NOT the U.S.) that these specific locations
were the spots where it was most believed the WMD existed.

And how did Hussein respond to the request for inspecting these location?
He reacted very nervously, declined the reqeust for inspection to those
locations, then promptly expelled the UN inspection team from Iraq.

Now, based on his reaction, his behavior during that reaction, and add to
that the suspicion of the WMD in those locations...what the UN and the
United States to believe? And use some common sense here. Everyone, and I
mean EVERYONE in the United States, the UN and around the world concluded
the same thing - he was hiding something in those locations.

The UN, not the Unites States, gave Hussein and deadline ultimatum - allow
the inspectors back in or else. It was the "UN that asked the United
States" to support its ultimatum, thus the U.S. joined in. I'm not saying
at this point the UN wanted a war invasion, but the United States made it
clear, days prior to this that an military action (not economic sanctions)
could possibly be "our" reaction to Hussein's failure to comply with the
ulitmatum...thus, no one can say they were surprised by our taking military
action.

Thus, what can be concluded from all this. Had Saddam Hussein complied with
the UN request, allowed the inspectors into those specific locations and
found nothing, it is safe to say the United States to this day would never
had invaded Iraq. Even if George W. Bush was itching to go in, still had
Hussein complied and no WMD ever found, Bush would have bit and chewed off
his lower lip, but he still would not have gone into Iraq because even he
would have known there would have been no support from the internation
community. So, if anyone is to blame for all this Iraqi mess, it's no other
than Saddam Hussein himself. He could have easily prevented this.

In closing, I find it funny how the media fails to talk about Hussein's
expelling the UN inspectors and his suspicious behavior as the cause for the
U.S. going in. Just another attempt by them to rewrite history the way they
would prefer it. Unfortunately for them, I and others correctly remember
history. On a side note, I kinda blame President Bush for not doing a
better job of reminding everyone about this.

John Scurich