[StBernard] SDT non-processing waste transfer site

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 20 17:59:36 EDT 2008

The garbage pickup fee referred to is the fee residents will pay to St
Bernard Parish Government (not SDT).

Still keeping an open mind until after the presentation and evaluation of
the wetlands survey. Hopefully the presentation at Tuesday's 4 o'clock
public hearing will include information on SDT's current truck routes for
Jefferson and Orleans parishes and which ones end up in our community before
the haul to River Birch on the westbank. What the new proposed facility is
really bringing to our Paris Road Corridor and through our other business
corridors.

IF the council is going to allow a zoning change landuse decision that could
potentially create this waste hub at the Marina, what is the benefit to our
community? With the recent assessors report of collections at 96% of 2004
amounts, perhaps the council and administration will re-evaluate the
residents fee and the parish's contract with SDT.

And, sadly yes, the council has final vote. Perhaps its time we follow
Orleans Parish lead and place on a ballot a change that would leave the
final vote with the parish planners. Just a thought to go along with the
modernization of our codes and ordinances.
SJK