[StBernard] Democracy in Danger

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 20 07:51:26 EST 2008

Westley,

Let's also point out the purpose of the article you presented was about
"stuffing the ballot box" which is the actual act of voter fruad - when
someone actually votes at the polls under a false name or identity. So
there's no confusion, let's point out what Bob F. is bringing up about Mark
Jacoby primarily only deals with getting someone to register to a particlar
party affiliation (in this case Republican) or getting an existing voter to
switch over to Republican. In no way, shape or form was Jacoby's actions
directly related to "voter fraud" where he was instructing or even
encourging someone to register under a false identity, then actually vote
under that false identity.

It also needs to be pointed out Jacoby is young and this was his way to make
a few bucks. Both parties regularly hire people to go out and try to get
someone to switch party affiliations - and they get paid a few bucks for
every "switch" or new registered voter who registers to that particular
party. That's been going on for a long time, and frankly I see nothing
wrong with that, because the person hired can't force a voter to switch
parties or join a particular party. Plus, after the person registers or
swithes, a person like Jacoby could care less if the person he signed up
actually votes or not. He's paid only for the number of people he signs up.

While I see nothing wrong in this practice, I've always found it to be a
little dumb in that no matter which party you get a person to register to,
they are always going to vote the way they want when they walk into the
voting booth.

John