[StBernard] DEMO's

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 18 05:28:22 EST 2009

Ok. Now let's discuss contact. Spending $50,000 repairing a home is not
chump change. This comes from a lot of blood, sweat and tears which could
represent everything one has in life in assets.

I'm not necessarily a violent person, but I will say this. If my home is in
St. Bernard and I'm told it will be reduced to dirt and (included all the
details that was mentioned previously by the homeowner),

I would be at every council meeting expecting to be heard each time, write
every agency I could, get the word out to every blog, get the press and
action reporters behind me at every stage regarding this "human interest
story", backed up with an attorney, perhaps..

And discourage each and every voter in the parish to consider what the
politicians have done to accommodate me considering my finances. If there is
a "heartbeat" in the parish, to save a homeowner who is about to go belly-up
with the last vestiges and remains of that home, I'd want them to drag me
off to prison so that I can write the truth about my story for all to
absorb.

This would be a death-knoll to any politician: Steal the property away from
my fingers would not happen if it were me. I'd rather spend 3 yrs. behind
bars condemning this injustice than not. If my last $50,000 brought me down
to "$0.00, there is nothing more that the Gestapo can take as I'd be broke.

If I wasn't broke, the home I lived in would be repaired a long time ago
(not because you didn't like my home, but because I had the financial means
on getting on with my life.

If I were Parish President, I would make absolutely CERTAIN..CERTAIN: That
no one loses his or her only chance for a simple plea of recovery solely on
the technicality of being naïve in financial matters, ability or whatever. I
would personally, listen to this JFR: PERSONALLY. Make my rounds to the few
who have decided St. Bernard was their home and do what I could to help
matters to that citizen's plight/prayer for recovery.

That would be the significant difference between me and anyone in power who
can't be there AFTER the disaster who claims to have been before or during.
The issue is: One has to finish the job, not take a homeowner halfway, ---
only to have him/her lose that precious commodity of dignity left in fear
that their home is lost to grubbers.

Reasonable, you say?? Yes, I'm not only reasonable but my life's judgment
before the Almighty depends upon whether I took the steps as a leader in the
community to assist my brothers and sisters in chaos and hell-0n-earth.

There is no difference in God's creation whether you're a citizen or
taxpayer anyplace. The only thing that really matters is that we spoke up
for humanity when it's most needed. That time is now.

--jer--

jer:

You have a right to your opinion as I do mine. The key difference is that I
still live and pay taxes in St. Bernard. For every person that claims that
they have received no notification, that their property is not listed on the
parish web-page, or whatever, there are ten properties that will be sitting
idle for years to come, depressing the values of adjoining properties and
probably depressing the neighbors that have to look at the abandoned
property every day.

Where you (unreasonably) expect the parish president to examine each and
every property scheduled for demolition, instead, I suggest that any
homeowner that is not in their home at this point in time visit the parish
government complex with paperwork and pictures in hand and make sure that
their property is not scheduled for demo. I also would ask for a written
confirmation from the person that they speak due in government. Last, the
day after my visit I would send a certified letter, return receipt, directly
to the person they speak with, confirming the agreement. A few hours effort
and less than $5 in postage would provide all the protection anyone could
ask for.

While I agree with you that everyone is not on the same economic level,
there are many of us that struggled through all the hurdles and the
financial obstacles to return home. I, for one, have no problem having a
neighbor taking longer than 3 years to repair their home if there is any
evidence of repair, and yes, I agree that the crew scheduled to perform the
demolition should visit the site prior to the scheduled demolition, attempt
to make (reasonable) contact with the owner, stick a notice on the door, and
take a photograph of the property, providing same to parish government for
immediate review and, if there remains any questions as to whether repairs
are being made, delay the demolition until proper notification can be made
to the homeowners.

Unfortunately, there is never a solution that pleases everyone.

JFR