[StBernard] Hundreds Seek Answers To Flood Protection

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 17 08:34:33 EDT 2009

Hundreds Seek Answers To Flood Protection
Many Say Proposals Leave Unanswered Questions
WDSU.com
updated 6:53 a.m. CT, Wed., June 17, 2009
NEW ORLEANS - WDSU .com

Hundreds showed up at a Slidell auditorium to get answers about flood
protection in St. Tammany.

But for many it wasn't quite the conversation they said they were hoping
for. They were all trying to get a glimpse of the Army Corps of Engineers'
six proposals to Congress.

They include one proposal to restore coastal wetlands, three proposals that
would offer 'buy outs' to people outside the federal levee protection
system, and two proposals for a floodgate, weir or levee across the mouth of
Lake Pontchartrain.

The meeting cleared up confusion for some, but caused frustration for
others.

"The more that the other areas on the south shore are guarding their land,
the more water is going to be pressed toward us as a surge comes," said Jane
Lumkin.

Lumkin has lived in Eden Isles for 15 years. She said she has rising
concerns when the waters rise during hurricanes. She was not alone.

More than 600 people packed into the North Shore Harbor Center Tuesday
wanting to know what is being done to protect the more than one million
people living around Lake Pontchartrain.

John Faust, who also lives in Eden Isles, organized the public meeting.

"We're constantly having problems trying to explain to people. So let the
Corps come here and explain what is being put out there," said Faust.

All six proposals presented by the Corps were on display. The proposal
backed by the St. Tammany Parish Council could be built one of two ways.

"The first one is along the old barrier plan, which would come along Highway
90 to the Rigales and then to West Pearl. The second plan would go along the
same route except when you get to GIWW, ICWW you continue along that route
and then go up the Rigales," John Faust explained.

Kevin Davis, the St. Tammany Parish President said, "We like the levee
system with the weir and gates at the Rigales and chef, where they would be
open all the time for our fisherman. No flow restrictions. They would only
be closed during a hurricane event."

But critics question where the water would go in a hurricane once it's
built.

Pam Baldwin lives outside the federal levee protection system. She said,
"That's not an acceptable solution for us. They've got to do something
else."

Many hoped for discussion, but when the Corps only allowed questions in
written form they said they felt dismissed.

Ralph Kaster left early saying, "It's a waste of time. It's a bunch of
crap."

Faust, who helped orchestrate the Corps visit, said he was frustrated.

"I'm a little disappointed. We were hoping for interaction between the corps
and the public and it didn't happen," Faust said.

The expected cost of parish-endorsed proposal is $18 billion and those
numbers just go up each year. Levee protection is needed now, but if
approved by congress it could be another three to five years before
construction begins.

Most Popular Stories at WDSUMan Refilling ATM With Cash Shot Dead In
AlgiersDone Deal: City Finalizes Purchase Of Chevron BuildingNagin
Quarantined In China Amid H1N1 CaseEx-Congressman On Trial Over Freezer
Cash, BriberyDA Investigator Linked To Bar Fight Resigns

MSN Privacy . Legal
C 2009 MSNBC.com