[StBernard] Redfish Cup

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 17 08:39:27 EDT 2009

The Redfish Cup is no longer sponsored by Oh Boy Oberto. Academy is the new
main sponsor, though many other companies also sponsor the event.

This is a national event, not a local one. It is televised on national TV.
As much as I love St. Bernard, I do realize that the national TV audience
hasn't a clue who we are. New Orleans, they know.

This is actually the only stop on the circuit that is even actually carrying
a local nametag. Why, I can't say, but it is.

When you watch the broadcast on ESPN, please don't be disappointed in the
lack of St. Bernard coverage. Granted, this one hasn't even taken place
yet, but I've seen many. The 30 minute show focuses on the anglers, not on
the area in which they fish. Also, they do not HAVE to fish in St. Bernard,
Plaquemines, or any specific location. Most will, of course, because the
fishing is better here than anywhere else, but they don't have to.

St. Bernard stands to benefit by having the anglers here for up to two weeks
before the actual tournament. They'll spend money while they're here in
restaurants and such. Many of their families will travel to see the
tournament. Again, they'll see the area first hand and spend money. This
simply isn't the sort of event that will showcase St. Bernard to a national
TV audience. That's not a bad thing, it's just what it is.

Hope this clears some of the misconceptions about this event for you.

LMP