[StBernard] e update 6 24 09

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 24 16:29:57 EDT 2009

e-update
6.24.09

IN THIS ISSUE
FIGHTING INTERNATIONAL BAILOUTS
REWARDING INDIVIDUAL EMPLOYEES FOR THEIR HARD WORK
FIGHTING TO GET FEMA TO APPROVE V-ZONE CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS
GETTING READY FOR HURRICANE SEASON

This past month, I introduced a bill to allow all workers to be rewarded
for their hard work, and I applauded FEMA's recent decision to allow
construction projects in hurricane-damaged areas to proceed across
Louisiana. I also fought to keep more American tax dollars here in the
United States instead of going overseas for foreign bailouts.

Below you can read about these and other issues, such as getting ready for
hurricane season.

David Vitter

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

This month I met with President Obama's nominee for the Supreme Court,
Judge Sonia Sotomayor. The Judge had some trouble getting around following
an injury to her ankle, but her sense of humor remained unharmed as she
appreciated me offering her a bag of ice and a pillow.

FIGHTING INTERNATIONAL BAILOUTS

A few weeks ago, President Obama met with member countries of the G20 to
discuss the state of the global economy. Following that meeting, Treasury
Secretary Tim Geithner proposed a ten-fold expansion of an emergency
international fund that loans money to bail out troubled countries like
Sudan. The current program can issue a loan of up to $50 billion, but
Geithner wants to expand that to $500 billion. We would have to borrow
another $100 billion from China to bail out these foreign countries, and
this makes no sense when we are already facing record debt and millions of
Americans continue to struggle with employment here at home.

The International Monetary Fund provides loans to countries that are
"troubled" or struggling to stay afloat financially. If the Obama
administration's plan passes, our tax money could be loaned to countries
like Pakistan, Ukraine and Takijistan, as well as other countries with
questionable allegiances to the United States. We shouldn't be asked to put
the rest of the world's struggling economies on our backs while we face our
own economic challenges here at home. American taxpayers already see a
generous amount of their hard earned money being lent to foreign entities
each year in the form of other foreign aid like that which goes to the
United Nations. I intend to keep working with other concerned senators to
help keep your hard-earned taxdollars at home, where they belong.

REWARDING INDIVIDUAL EMPLOYEES FOR THEIR HARD WORK

This month, I introduced the Rewarding Achievement and Incentivizing
Successful Employees (RAISE) Act, to allow employers to give merit-based
bonuses or other increases in compensation to employees above and beyond any
collective bargaining agreement in place. Currently, the National Labor
Relations Board can strike down bonuses and merit pay that have not been
negotiated by the unions.

The RAISE Act would allow unionized companies to award raises and bonuses to
high performing employees, rewarding those individuals who make the extra
effort to achieve in the workplace. This bill embodies one of the most
important principles of our nation - that those who work hard are rewarded
for their efforts. Under current federal law, however, that principle is
rendered obsolete, and even the most lackluster employees receive the same
compensation as their hard-working colleagues. The RAISE Act would change
that and allow employers to award appropriate merit raises and bonuses
beyond those negotiated by the unions and their bosses.

FIGHTING TO GET FEMA TO APPROVE V-ZONE CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS

FEMA has finally decided to allow construction projects in Grand Isle,
Cameron Parish and other high-risk flood areas of the state to move
forward. This announcement signals real progress for folks across the
state, and this is a huge breakthrough for our ongoing recovery process.

I've been working closely with FEMA on the V-Zone issue since January and
have repeatedly called on officials to allow these projects to move
forward. Last month, I held up the nomination of Craig Fugate, President
Obama's selection to head up FEMA, over concerns with FEMA's position on
V-Zone issues. After meeting with Fugate and receiving a letter of good
faith from FEMA that stated their intent to reach a timely decision on the
V-Zone issue, I agreed to lift the hold. I've been working with FEMA
closely to help them reach the right conclusion, and they finally did just
that. These communities have waited long enough, and I know that they are
anxious to get on with the rebuilding process.

GETTING READY FOR HURRICANE SEASON

June 1 marked the beginning of hurricane season, and it's important that we
prepare ourselves for the hurricane season by taking appropriate steps to
ensure that our families are ready to face the challenges of hurricane
season. As Louisianans, we are acutely aware of how dangerous and damaging
these storms can be. Since it is impossible to predict when disaster will
strike, making preparations early is the best way to help ensure the safety
of our families. Waiting until the last minute during the most active part
of the season can have disastrous results.

The National Hurricane Center recommends that you create a plan for your
family, to include locating a safe room or the safest areas in your home
for each hurricane hazard, making a plan for your pets and taking first
aid, CPR or disaster preparedness classes. These are just a few of
examples of how you can best prepare for the hurricane season. Hurricanes
are part of life every year in Louisiana, but advance preparations can help
reduce their impact on your family. I urge you to take hurricane watches
and warnings seriously. Please plan ahead for your family's safety and
encourage your neighbors to do the same.

For any other questions or concerns visit my Web site at:
www.vitter.senate.gov.