[StBernard] letter to the editor re: St. Marks

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 28 07:47:35 EDT 2009

When I read the original letter from Mr. Phillpott, I had some concerns
bcause I was a parishoner of St. Mark's and had never heard of his
allegations. I am glad Father Mark cleared them up. However, I think there
was a misprint because, he was not pastor since 1976. Father Bob & Father
Allen were before him. And Mr. Phillpott was correct in saying the money
had gone to other parishes outside of St. Mark's, that is if the Times
Picayune is to be believed since they printed that in an article about the
archdiocese tearing down churches in St. Bernard. I am upset that Father
Mark recommended that St. Mark be closed. Prompt Succor is nice, and they
have tried to make all displaced parishoners from other parishes feel
welcome, but I miss MY parish. I don't feel like Prompt Succor is "home".
St. Mark was my church since 1977. My kids went to school there, were
baptized, made their first communion, confirmation & were marr ied there.
After going to church one Sunday, my daughter-in-law remarked to me , "You
know everybody". And it felt as if I did. But I don't feel like that at
Prompt Succor. I see a few St. Mark people every now & then at Mass, but I
guess it is because Prompt Succor is bigger and they get lost in the crowd.
For whatever reason, I still feel like an outsider and not really at home.
It saddens me that Father Mark recommended St. Mark's closure without any
input from it's parishoners. Like I resent the fact the Hannan High was
relocated in the same way. But that's a discuaaion for another time.

Syl