[StBernard] Saintsation Overcomes Katrina To Dance At Super Bowl

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Feb 6 11:01:45 EST 2010

Saintsation Overcomes Katrina To Dance At Super Bowl
Dancers Taking Super Bowl Field After First Quarter
POSTED: 7:26 pm CST February 5, 2010
UPDATED: 7:44 pm CST February 5, 2010

Comments (1)HOLLYWOOD, Fla. -- The Saintsations dance team is in South
Florida and ready to cheer the team.

It's a first for NFL's New Orleans dance team, but it will be a bittersweet
game for Amanda Scott.

The 23-year-old Saintsation is a Chalmette resident who lost everything
during Hurricane Katrina. She said the game is more than just a Super Bowl
for New Orleans.

"It's a rock for the city, a foundation, something that unites everybody
after everything we've been through," she said.

Scott said the recovery from Katrina brought her to tears at her very first
game as a Saintsation. It was the day that players and fans returned to the
Superdome after the storm.

"Green Day performed with U2 to 'The Saints Are Coming.' Every time we play
that song -- actually, we're dancing to it in the Super Bowl -- I still get
the chills from watching them perform," Scott said.

Scott's four years on the dance team have come full circle -- from her first
game and the "domecoming" to her last game this Sunday in the Super Bowl.

"I think it's going to be final closure for me, just because it has been
such a toss up," Scott said. "I know this is my final game. Of course I'm
tearing up right now, but I know that it's going to be the end. So it's just
really hard, but I'm at the big game, so that's all that matters."

The Saintsations said it's also the first year that an NFL dance team has
been allowed to perform on the field in the Super Bowl. They'll perform
after first quarter and the Colts cheerleaders will take the field after
third quarter.