[StBernard] Ballard to seek East at large post on St. Bernard Parish Council

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 3 15:01:59 EDT 2011

Ballard to seek East at large post on St. Bernard Parish Council

Published: Friday, September 02, 2011, 1:11 PM Updated: Friday,
September 02, 2011, 1:14 PM

By The Times-Picayune

A pastor from Violet has announced he will seek the At Large East seat on
the St. Bernard Parish Council. The election is Oct. 22.

Henry Ballard Jr., 43, who has served on the parish's Personnel and
Community Service Block Grants board, said he wants to make a difference in
the community.

"I will approach each issue based on three guiding principles -
accountability, common sense and transparency,'' he said in a news release.
"I have a can-do attitude, the ability to find win-win solutions through
collaboration plus the experience and temperament to make a difference for
all of St. Bernard."

Ballard served 21 years in the military, retiring from active duty in 2007.
He said he also is a business owner and pastor.

"I've always had a passion for making a difference and serving others,'' he
said. "I'm a servant at heart. During my military career, I've received many
decorations and leadership awards. I'm most proud of receiving the
Humanitarian Service Medal and the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service
Medal."

While candidates must qualify for at large seats in either the East or West
districts, the positions are elected parishwide and represent the entire
parish. Wayne Landry, the incumbent At Large East council member, has
announced he is running for sheriff in October.