[StBernard] School “Food Czar” says: No sandwich for you!

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 1 19:54:27 EST 2012

Team,

You may have heard the story <http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/display_exclusive.html?id=8762> about the North Carolina preschooler who had her homemade lunch inspected and deemed not "nutritious" by a government-appointed food czar. Instead of the lunch her mother prepared for her, the child was told to eat cafeteria food featuring chicken nuggets as a main course.

The most peculiar aspect of this story is what was actually in the student's lunchbox that the school said ran afoul of U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines defining a "nutritious lunch": a turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips and apple juice.

In Louisiana, some would call that fasting. As a father of four, I'd call that a pretty balanced lunch.

While this food flap is ultimately the result of laws in the state of North Carolina, the bigger issue is whether this is the appropriate role of government bureaucrats at any level – local, state, or federal. And it's a good illustration of the kind of government overreach I've consistently opposed at every level.

Government intrusion doesn't belong in our day-to-day lives. Please consider a donation of $25, $50 or any other contribution you can offer <https://secure.davidvitter.com/site/c.ktJUJ7MNIuE/b.5584433/k.8450/Donate_Today/apps/ka/sd/donorcustom.asp> to help me fight against the ever-growing scope of the federal government.

That's insulting - as if we're expected to mindlessly agree that government knows best. That mentality eats away at our freedom to decide what's best for ourselves and our families – sometimes in small ways like school lunches, and sometimes in big ways like Obamacare. We just can't stand for it any longer.

Will you join me in the fight to roll back government overreach <https://secure.davidvitter.com/site/c.ktJUJ7MNIuE/b.5584433/k.8450/Donate_Today/apps/ka/sd/donorcustom.asp> and protect our cherished freedoms?

David