[StBernard] DOMINO SUGAR RECEIVES 2012 "FRIEND OF TOURISM" AWARD FROM THE ST. BERNARD PARISH TOURIST COMMISION

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Dec 12 19:24:27 EST 2012

DOMINO SUGAR RECEIVES 2012 "FRIEND OF TOURISM" AWARD FROM THE ST. BERNARD
PARISH TOURIST COMMISION

Each year the St. Bernard Parish Tourist Commission awards the annual
"Friend of Tourism Award" to a business or organization which has made
outstanding contributions to the tourism industry. Past recipients have
been the Jean Lafitte National Park and Preserve for the Chalmette
Battlefield and the St. Bernard Port and Harbor for supporting tourism from
visitors arriving to the Port from the Creole Queen.

This year at the St. Bernard Chamber of Commerce Annual Gala, the 2012
Friend of Tourism Award, selected by the St. Bernard Parish Tourist
Commission went to Domino Sugar - Chalmette Refinery. Domino Sugar has
refined Sugar in Arabi for over 100 years and has preserved the rich history
of the importance of sugar to our region. After Hurricane Katrina, Domino
was faced with the possibility of closure due to extensive damage to the
refinery but through determination and passion, Domino went on to reopen and
set new milestones and production records. This year Domino exceeded the 1
million tons of production mark, largest of the American Sugar's four
domestic refineries. Domino has been a friend of the Tourism industry in
St. Bernard over the years and has supported the Tourist Commission in
countless ways.

In 2008 Domino partnered with the Tourist Commission and represented St.
Bernard and Domino at the 2008 EPCOT Food and Wine experience. Domino
provided manpower and product to thousands who visited the Louisiana
Pavilion and educated visitors on Sugar history in Louisiana and in St.
Bernard Parish.

In 2009, Domino celebrated "100" years of Sugar refining. To celebrate,
Domino joined with the Old Arabi Neighborhood Association to kickoff the 1st
Sugar Festival located on the grounds of the LeBeau Plantation. This
festival is another opportunity to promote the importance of sugar and our
culture that bring thousands of visitors to our area.

Most recently, Domino Sugar has opened its refinery doors for group tours by
appointment with the Tourist Commission enabling us to attract tour
companies to the area that promotes our Sugar Trail. In 2013 Domino Sugar
has agreed to sponsor and support the St. Bernard Parish new Sugar Museum
now in the development stage in Old Arabi.

As a result of all these contributions, and our partnership, the Tourist
Commission has been able to attract more visitors to our area stimulating
our local economy making them a true "Friend of Tourism".