[StBernard] What's happened before will happen again

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 30 22:20:41 EST 2013

Team,

This week both President Obama and a group of U.S. Senators put forth proposals on what they call “comprehensive immigration reform.” We all know what that means: amnesty for illegal aliens immediately, with an empty promise to ramp up enforcement and clean up the current immigration process later.

Some politicians are making political calculations with our immigration policy. Please donate $5 or anything you can offer to help me fight for good policy, not politics <http://www.2dialog.com/vitter/t/l/543/h/8bf0> .

We’ve seen this before. In 1986, Ronald Reagan agreed to amnesty for 3 million illegal aliens to solve our immigration problem back then. We’re still here nearly 30 years later and the problem has only gotten bigger and more difficult. And now were talking between 10 and 12 million illegal aliens.

In 2007, politicians who put winning elections as their main objective again tried to push amnesty as comprehensive immigration reform. I led a small group of conservatives on the U.S. Senate floor and we beat Ted Kennedy and his amnesty bill. Yet, here we go again.

Our immigration policy must focus on attrition through enforcement.

(1) Actually enforce the immigration laws on the books
(2) Shut down illegals' access to taxpayer benefits, like the child tax credit, or food stamps
(3) Put in place real, substantive workplace enforcement

If we actually did these three common sense reforms, illegal immigrants will find it not so easy to come here to work, live and reap taxpayer benefits.

Please help me beat back the pro-amnesty crowd again. With your $5 or more contribution, I can help spread the word and ratchet up the courage to defeat this bad policy in the U.S. Senate <http://www.2dialog.com/vitter/t/l/544/h/8bf0> .

David