[StBernard] Local Nonprofits Invited to Apply for $100,000 Grant

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 24 23:01:29 EDT 2013

Local Nonprofits Invited to Apply for $100,000

Humana Communities Benefit-New Orleans Grant

Grant applications for this year's charitable giving program being accepted
through July 30

For the seventh consecutive year, a deserving nonprofit organization in the
Greater New Orleans area will have an opportunity to positively impact the
health and well-being of the community, as Humana (NYSE: HUM) will open the
call for entries starting April 29 for the $100,000 Humana Communities
Benefit-New Orleans 2013 grant. Humana is inviting all nonprofit 501(c)(3)
organizations based in Jefferson, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St.
Charles, St. James, St. John the Baptist, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa and
Washington parishes to apply for the one-time, $100,000 Humana Communities
Benefit charitable grant in New Orleans.

Humana Communities Benefit is a charitable giving program, sponsored by the
Humana Foundation. The program awards a one-time, $100,000 signature grant
to a Greater New Orleans nonprofit organization, focused on improving the
health and well-being of the community in the areas of childhood health,
intergenerational health and active lifestyles. The grant application
deadline for this year's program is July 30. Following a selection process
by a panel of local judges, the 2013 grant winner will be announced at an
awards gala in New Orleans this November.

"Humana is proud to continue the tradition and provide nonprofit
organizations in the New Orleans area with an opportunity to receive this
transformational funding," said Rhonda Bagby, Humana Louisiana Commercial
Market President. "We've seen so many organizations benefit from this grant
over the years and we're thrilled to have a strong and enduring impact on
another deserving nonprofit in our community," Bagby added. "We encourage
all eligible nonprofits in Greater New Orleans to apply for their chance to
receive this year's $100,000 grant." The Humana Communities Benefit program
in New Orleans has been awarding one-time $100,000 signature grants to New
Orleans-area nonprofits focused on improving the health and well-being of
local communities since 2007.

Last fall, Boys Town Louisiana was awarded the $100,000 grant by the Humana
Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Humana Inc. With its Humana Communities
Benefit grant, Boys Town Louisiana is launching this summer a new
educational program for about 60 area youngsters that will include social
skills, fitness and nutritional courses at its Gretna residential facility.

"The Humana Communities Benefit grant has infused a new level of energy and
enthusiasm into our organization," said Boys Town Louisiana Executive
Director Dennis Dillon. "This grant has allowed Boys Town Louisiana to
venture into a whole new area in caring for youth that includes preventive
services, such as good health and nutrition training."

Humana is one of Louisiana's leading health benefits companies with more
than 200,000 Medicare, commercial and individual health plan members
statewide.

More information on the application and the 2013 grant are available at
www.Humana.com/HCB. Questions can also be directed to Humana by e-mail to
louisianabenefits at humana.com.

About The Humana Foundation

The Humana Foundation was established in 1981 as the philanthropic arm of
Humana Inc., one of the nation's leading health care companies. Located in
Louisville, Ky., the site of Humana's corporate headquarters, the
Foundation's mission is to promote healthy lives and healthy communities.
The Foundation's key funding priorities are childhood health,
intergenerational health, and active lifestyles. For more information, visit
www.humanafoundation.org.

Humana and the Humana Foundation are dedicated to Corporate Social
Responsibility. Our goal is to ensure that every business decision we make
reflects our commitment to improving the health and well-being of our
members, our associates, the communities we serve, and our planet.

About Humana

Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Ky., is a leading health-care
company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and
wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong
well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana
believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging
adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities
for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has
relationships.

More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor
Relations page of the company's Website at www.humana.com.