[StBernard] Foreign exchange student soon will be leaving his Arabi host family to return to the Netherlands: Around Arabi

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 21 09:55:36 EDT 2013

Foreign exchange student soon will be leaving his Arabi host family to
return to the Netherlands: Around Arabi

Print By Barry Lemoine
on June 13, 2013 at 7:30 AM, updated June 13, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Although he has only been in this country for eight months and at Chalmette
High School for two semesters, Milan Holman certainly made is mark here. The
foreign exchange student will be leaving his host family home in Arabi to
return to the Netherlands this month, but he takes away a lifetime of
memories.

He said the most challenging part of the experience was the original feeling
of isolation.

"Being an exchange student is basically getting dropped in a completely
different world," Holman said. "You don't know anyone and although you've
heard a lot of stories and saw a lot on TV, it is still so totally
different."

But for Holman, new friends and opportunities came quickly. This versatile
young man played football, participated in literary rally, and was a member
of the Key Club, but it was his time on stage and working behind the scenes
that were his favorite experiences.

"Having the opportunity to participate in all the school clubs was a great
but my favorite parts about CHS are, without a doubt, television production
and the theater department," he said.

In addition to theatrical roles in "The Passengers" and "The Odd Couple,"
Holman's proudest work came playing, Aramis, one of The Three Musketeers.

"My proudest moment on stage is was' Three Musketeers,' " he said. "Everyone
worked so hard on that show. I loved every moment of it."

He also got to learn stage combat and for his skill and maturity, was named
as a fight captain for the production. Holman said it was the school
camaraderie he will miss the most.

"I will miss all the wonderful people I got a chance to meet and work with
this year most of all," Holman said.

He was quick to credit the CHS students and faculty for making him feel so
welcome, especially school administrators Carole Mundt and Wayne Warner.

"It has been a true honor to call myself a Chalmette Owl, something I will
continue to do for the rest of my life."

Holman also shared his gratitude with his host family. "Above all I would
like to thank Maria Laylle and Beverly Buisson who took me in their house
and their family for the past year," he said.

And while he is bittersweet about leaving, Holman said he looks forward to
being home. "Because I live on a smaller island, you can always smell the
salt of the sea in the air. I didn't even realize how much I missed it until
I went to a beach in America."