Talbert Pipes- Big morta news and update!

Trever Talbert trever at talbertpipes.com
Wed Aug 4 17:30:01 EDT 2004

Bonjour to everyone on our mailing list!  I have just posted 4 new mortas to
the website (3 blasts and one smooth).  They can be seen here:
http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/mortacatalogblasts.shtml
http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/mortacatalogsmooth.shtml

More importantly, there is big news on the morta front - I have totally
revamped the pricing and grading scale.  I found that the old pricing scale
was too confusing for people in practical use over the past two years.  It
was hard to judge the grade of a pipe in relation to the size, and there was
always the question of where to include handcut stems, fancier shapes, etc.
In practice, morta sales were split sharply into two very distinct
categories - the 200-ish price range of people looking for something unusual
and the 400 euro+ price range of collectors desiring a pipe equivalent to a
Talbert Briar in size and craftsmanship.  So, the mortas have now been
officially split - the old 5-grade scale is gone and all mortas are one of
two grades, Classic or Signature.

Classic-grade mortas are the majority of production, and cost 190 euros for
sandblasts (around $220 USD depending on today's exchange rate) and 205
euros for smooths (roughly $240-ish).  Sizes will vary.  The vast majority
will be small, but NOT like the old Mini grade mortas - these are larger
blocks selected to be big enough for a "real smoke".  Sizes will probably be
similar to the typical group 2-3's.  Designs will primarily be
semi-classical with a strong focus on elegance and the sort of soft curves
that I enjoy.  99% of the pipes will be fitted with some sort of shank band
in acrylic or horn.  All four of the new pipes are Classic grade, so they
provide an immediate example of the sorts of shapes to expect.

Signature grade mortas are the rare ones; the ones to please collectors of
high grades and to really show off the material.  Signature-grade mortas are
all larger in size, usually equivalent to my briar pipes (group 4-ODA) and
fitted with handcut stems.  These pipes will be individually priced, with
prices ranging from 320 euros for the simplest sandblasts to as high as 900
euros for the most exceptional smooth pipes.  Expect styles to be much more
dramatic and complex, and overall craftsmanship to be the best I can do.

Mini-grade pipes are no longer made.  There are several reasons for this.
For starters, they caused far too much price confusion - the existence of a
$140 morta generated way too many inquiry emails  on the order of, "Hello,
I'd like to order one of your $145 Mini mortas, preferably a straight
billiard with a bowl in group 5 size".  It became obvious that the price was
getting too much attention and no one realized just how small they were - in
fact, overall the prices just ranged too much.  I hope this new grading
system will simplify everything and help buyers and collectors judge the
value of a pipe more easily.  This eliminates the "toy"-sized pipes
entirely, so folks buying Classics can be sure of getting a real smokable
pipe, if one on the small size.

I hope this will simplify the buying and selling of morta pipes for
everyone!  Thanks for your time, and as always,
Happy smoking,
Trever Talbert
http://www.talbertpipes.com