Talbert Pipes- Website update

Trever Talbert trever at talbertpipes.com
Wed Feb 9 09:34:03 EST 2005

Greetings to everyone on our mailing list!  I'm writing with news of the
latest site update - I have just posted three new Talbert Briar sandblasts -
see here:
http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/briarcatalogblasts.shtml
And three new morta classics (two smooth and one blast) - see here:
http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/mortacatalogsmooth.shtml
http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/mortacatalogblasts.shtml

I hope to have another set of new pipes posted in a week.  I've really been
enjoying being able to get back to doing Talbert Briars again on a steady
basis, and my goal is to make enough to have a few left after initial sales
for our inventory, plus some to send over to P&P in the US.  If the latest
pipes seem to be trending towards the quirky, it's partly because I have
been enjoying doing some more unusual pieces that are less likely to be
"quick sells" - it was awfully stressful for the past couple of years where
every pipe made had to be designed to sell as quickly as possible.  Also,
I've been taking more time to finish more middle grades, so there will be
some more affordable examples, rather than being forced by financial
necessity to discard everything but those pieces that would make the more
expensive pipes.  The next update should include another (more
conservatively-colored) Alchemist plus a giant bamboo-shank piece, and
whatever else I can get finished.  Em is working exclusively on morta
classics now, but it may be a while before there are more posted as she is
about to dive into a special order for an aleglass-paneled Signature grade,
and I suspect this may keep her busy for a while.

In other news, for folks interested in estate pieces, there are several nice
Talberts posted on ebay now, courtesy of two major collectors unloading some
old pieces (one fellow is selling several of his older Talberts to raise
money for a Halloween pipe this year...  a commendable goal, IMO ;) ).  I'm
not involved with any of these auctions, but you can see the pipes at these
links:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=596&item=5359590021&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4119&item=6152221657&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=596&item=5359591527&rd=1

Finally, there is another item that may be of interest to all pipe
collectors.  Some of you may know of the French pipemaker Alain Albuisson,
who worked as the master pipemaker for Butz-Choquin's highest grades for the
past 30 years (I believe he started with BC in 72, IIRC).  I've gotten to
know him and he's quite a nice fellow, and he makes some very creative and
exceptional pipes (on his own, as opposed to work specified by BC).  He has
now left BC and is starting to sell his own creations to the worldwide
market via the net, which is something of a new experience for one who has
previously worked under the insulation of a huge company.  His work is very
original and enjoyable - sometimes quirky, sometimes very beautiful - and he
(thankfully!!) has a distinctive look and isn't yet another pseudo-Dane.
His website is now open for business, and you can read all about the fellow
and see pics of some of his work here:
http://www.pipes-albuisson.com/
Alain's English is about like my French, but I'll be happy to help with a
little translation if anyone has any specific inquiries that are beyond the
abilities of the online translators (and he does read English anyway).  P&T
readers may remember the exceptional pipe that Alain did which won France's
"Master Artisan" award in 97 - it was pictured in P&T and was quite
memorable.  For those who missed that article, the pipe can be seen in the
upper right corner of this page:
http://www.pipes-albuisson.com/version%20anglaise/aboutUs.html
Enjoy those stem materials, and in particular have a look at pipes #2 and
#11 in his gallery.  All the pipes in the gallery are available for sale
right now, and he'll be posting new work ASAP.

That's all for now - thanks for your time!
Happy smoking,
Trever Talbert
http://www.talbertpipes.com